[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sir AFRO's Hockey Team Results

AFRO

iHocExperiment

Round Pick Player Position

1. (11) Ilya Kovalchuk LW

2. (18) Rick Nash LW

3. (39) Roberto Luongo G

4. (46) Johan Franzen RW

5. (67) Thomas Vanek LW

6. (74) Bobby Ryan LW,RW

7. (95) Steven Stamos C

8. (102) Mike Knuble RW

9. (123) Nik Antropov C,RW

10. (130) Chris Mason G

11. (151) Ryan Malone LW

12. (158) Jon Quick G

13. (179) Niklas Kronwall D

14. (186) Pavol Demitra C

15. (207) Mattias Ohlund D

16. (214) Craig Rivet D

17. (235) Kyle Okposo RW

18. (242) Dwayne Roloson G

19. (263) Nikolai Zherdev RW

20. (270) Jarret Stoll C

21. (291) Robyn Regehr D

22. (298) Matt Greene D

23. (319) Carlo Colaiacovo D

24. (326) Dennis Seidenberg D

OK this is how it went down..

After my first Two picks, I was pretty much in the dark; (it just seemed like Russian Roll call w/ all the names I had no clue about..lol) So if the numbers looked similar to some of the things I had been reading, I thought why not?!? what the hell do I know, right?

So I had to resort to the Y! rankings during the blitz in between my picks. I tried to fill out the roster as best I could with the options that were available.. (of which I had no clue which way was up) and seemed in rounds 6-10 like every time I put a guy in the ‘wanted list’ spot thing, he was taken by an auto team pick ahead of me.. The remaining rounds I continued to plug away at the “Y! Rank” players that could get, while trying to fill out my roster. *Seems like this league has the IDP football feel with spots for Cs Ws and Ds…* I had no clue there were so many guys in the NHL..

SO then.

Overall I got one guy who was N/A and two guys hurt D2D .. and two IR so I dint feel too bad (cept IR was Franzen 4th pick, ouchee) the other guy P.Demitra is on my IR spot for my team.. figured 4 wasnt bad

So after the last round, I went to my team page and did some quick damage control..

Dropped the injured/NA fodder, and did the following:

Went to the ADD players page;

then selected my team filter. Clicked on RANK (not O-Rank) and seen where my men stood.. (I figured it works for baseball, its worth a shot here too) the lower the overall rank numbers –ie anyone w/500+ ranking- the increased potential for them to be replaced. (esp if they had low stats, or games played, the like) took some notes on who I thought may be weak links or non players..

Then I went to the “All Taken Players” filter, clicked on Rank, (one for Skaters, one for Goalies) to see how the top ranked players ranked, and what stats they had over other players in their respective positions..and how my guys stacked up in the mix too.

Then I did an “All avail” filter again and acquired some men who were higher ranked then my “Duds”.. in an effort to bring my team up to a competitive level right away..I Put some of the guys I dropped on the watch list, incase they blow up in hind-sight.. (I can at least know who they were; as I know no one) and put several other players on my watch list too so I can track their progress..

Scoring will start next week, so I have a week to tweak my team further, and a week of stats to track, and players to target in the coming weeks…

Next year I will get a bigger jump on the Ranking process!!! :D:D

What I have learned thus far is be better prepared for then next time I have a whim to play an unfimaliar FAN-sport!! LOL

Any insights or critiques would be helpful!!

from now on I think I will just bump this thread when I have future questions or problems..

Thanks again Delicious,Seductive,Tford and co. :wacko:

I like your goalies. Luongo is a stud, Mason is solid, Quick is up and coming, and Rollie is fairly reliable, he just plays on a lousy team but he'll steal a game for you now and then.

For some bad news, Kovalchuk has a broken bone in his foot and is out for about 4 weeks. The good new is that with Nash and Vanek you won't feel that loss too badly.

Your D may need some shoring up down the road. I like Kronwall, I don't know much about Ohlund, but I do know Seidenberg has some pretty decent upside if he can get his game turned around. I also realize you use penalty minutes too so that would have affected they types of players you were looking at for the draft, something we don't do in HotP.

You'll probably want to pick up another center, Demitra may be out for quite a while yet. I think you're solid at RW with what you have, really like Knuble, he's been playing on the top line in Washington.

Overall I think you have a pretty solid team to start with. Add another center and keep an eye on D men later on in the season. He may not be highly regarded yet by a lot of people since he just got called up, but watch Marc Andre-Bergeron in Montreal. He can score and is getting a lot of time on the power play. He's an anchor around your neck in terms of +/- though.

Good luck and have fun! :wacko:

iHocExperiment

Round Pick Player Position

1. (11) Ilya Kovalchuk LW

2. (18) Rick Nash LW

3. (39) Roberto Luongo G

4. (46) Johan Franzen RW

5. (67) Thomas Vanek LW

6. (74) Bobby Ryan LW,RW

7. (95) Steven Stamos C

8. (102) Mike Knuble RW

9. (123) Nik Antropov C,RW

10. (130) Chris Mason G

11. (151) Ryan Malone LW

12. (158) Jon Quick G

13. (179) Niklas Kronwall D

14. (186) Pavol Demitra C

15. (207) Mattias Ohlund D

16. (214) Craig Rivet D

17. (235) Kyle Okposo RW

18. (242) Dwayne Roloson G

19. (263) Nikolai Zherdev RW

20. (270) Jarret Stoll C

21. (291) Robyn Regehr D

22. (298) Matt Greene D

23. (319) Carlo Colaiacovo D

24. (326) Dennis Seidenberg D

OK this is how it went down..

After my first Two picks, I was pretty much in the dark; (it just seemed like Russian Roll call w/ all the names I had no clue about..lol) So if the numbers looked similar to some of the things I had been reading, I thought why not?!? what the hell do I know, right?

So I had to resort to the Y! rankings during the blitz in between my picks. I tried to fill out the roster as best I could with the options that were available.. (of which I had no clue which way was up) and seemed in rounds 6-10 like every time I put a guy in the ‘wanted list’ spot thing, he was taken by an auto team pick ahead of me.. The remaining rounds I continued to plug away at the “Y! Rank” players that could get, while trying to fill out my roster. *Seems like this league has the IDP football feel with spots for Cs Ws and Ds…* I had no clue there were so many guys in the NHL..

SO then.

Overall I got one guy who was N/A and two guys hurt D2D .. and two IR so I dint feel too bad (cept IR was Franzen 4th pick, ouchee) the other guy P.Demitra is on my IR spot for my team.. figured 4 wasnt bad

So after the last round, I went to my team page and did some quick damage control..

Dropped the injured/NA fodder, and did the following:

Went to the ADD players page;

then selected my team filter. Clicked on RANK (not O-Rank) and seen where my men stood.. (I figured it works for baseball, its worth a shot here too) the lower the overall rank numbers –ie anyone w/500+ ranking- the increased potential for them to be replaced. (esp if they had low stats, or games played, the like) took some notes on who I thought may be weak links or non players..

Then I went to the “All Taken Players” filter, clicked on Rank, (one for Skaters, one for Goalies) to see how the top ranked players ranked, and what stats they had over other players in their respective positions..and how my guys stacked up in the mix too.

Then I did an “All avail” filter again and acquired some men who were higher ranked then my “Duds”.. in an effort to bring my team up to a competitive level right away..I Put some of the guys I dropped on the watch list, incase they blow up in hind-sight.. (I can at least know who they were; as I know no one) and put several other players on my watch list too so I can track their progress..

Scoring will start next week, so I have a week to tweak my team further, and a week of stats to track, and players to target in the coming weeks…

Next year I will get a bigger jump on the Ranking process!!! :D:D

What I have learned thus far is be better prepared for then next time I have a whim to play an unfimaliar FAN-sport!! LOL

Any insights or critiques would be helpful!!

from now on I think I will just bump this thread when I have future questions or problems..

Thanks again Delicious,Seductive,Tford and co. :wacko:

Yeah, the Franzen pick is likely going to sting you a bit but overall I think you did ok as Seductive said above. I am suffering through the Kovalchuk injury(among others) myself and just have to bit the bullet and hope he comes back on time(or sooner) and suffers no lingering effects.

Looks like you have an IR slot so I'd be sure to get either Franzen or Kovalchuk on there and pick up another player(if you havent already done so). Might as well carry all the players you can for now and then you'll just have to pick someone to drop if/when you bring someone off IR most likely.

Out of curiousity, could you post the draft results? I dont need to see all 24 rounds, but I'd be curious to see what the first 5-6 look like as I want to see how much different it went than my draft held in Sept...

OK

Delicious, as requested: Rds 1-3

1. Alex Ovechkin BLAZE

2. Evgeni Malkin St. Louis Blues

3. Sidney Crosby Bolzano Jets

4. Jarome Iginla the breakaways

5. Mike Green GoPuckUr Mother

6. Zach Parise bruins#1

7. Corey Perry King Deke

8. Ryan Getzlaf Static Shock

9. Patrick Kane TAZER

10. Jeff Carter Snipe_Down

11. Ilya Kovalchuk iHocExperiment

12. Pavel Datsyuk da sabres

13. Evgeni Nabokov Freezer Burn

14. Henrik Zetterberg Caps Lock

Round 2

1. Dion Phaneuf Caps Lock

2. Miikka Kiprusoff Freezer Burn

3. Alexander Semin da sabres

4. Rick Nash iHocExperiment

5. Marian Gaborik Snipe_Down

6. Jonathan Toews TAZER

7. Vincent Lecavalier Static Shock

8. Niklas Backstrom King Deke

9. Nicklas Backstrom bruins#1

10. Dany Heatley GoPuckUr Mother

11. Martin Havlat the breakaways

12. Joe Thornton Bolzano Jets

13. Daniel Sedin St. Louis Blues

14. Tim Thomas BLAZE

Round 3

1. Chris Osgood BLAZE

2. Martin St. Louis St. Louis Blues

3. Mike Richards Bolzano Jets

4. Mikko Koivu the breakaways

5. Martin Brodeur GoPuckUr Mother

6. Eric Staal bruins#1

7. Marc Savard King Deke

8. Cam Ward Static Shock

9. Dustin Byfuglien TAZER

10. Simon Gagne Snipe_Down

11. Roberto Luongo iHocExperiment

12. Henrik Lundqvist da sabres

13. Jason Spezza Freezer Burn

14. Marc-Andre Fleury Caps Lock

My 2nd pick was auto pick, due to some technical difficulties... aka couldnt toggle between the 'individual search' and the 'overall' player lists quick enough. :D

So then suddenly, guys I thought I could get and/or wanted (the few I had read about) were going, or gone..

the 11th spot was kinda tough on the long swing of the serpentine.. so that was the time I was trying to use to get the guys in my "Want next" list (and watching them fly right off as I added them...) I went thru the whole entire thing though, even though I probably could have AND WANTED TO skip it around the 7th round.. and then the 11th, 15th, 19th lol

But next year, alittle more earlier on, and some rookie scoop.. some 3yr averages.. :wacko: (adds to mental notes for next year)

EDIT.. rds 4,5,6..

Round 4

1. Patrick Marleau Caps Lock

2. Michael Cammalleri Freezer Burn

3. Patrik Elias da sabres

4. Johan Franzen iHocExperiment

5. Dan Boyle Snipe_Down

6. Nikolai Khabibulin TAZER

7. Devin Setoguchi Static Shock

8. Marty Turco King Deke

9. Jason Blake bruins#1

10. Zdeno Chara GoPuckUr Mother

11. Saku Koivu the breakaways

12. Anze Kopitar Bolzano Jets

13. Joe Pavelski St. Louis Blues

14. Nicklas Lidstrom BLAZE

Round 5

1. Ryan Miller BLAZE

2. Shea Weber St. Louis Blues

3. Travis Zajac Bolzano Jets

4. Cristobal Huet the breakaways

5. Tomas Vokoun GoPuckUr Mother

6. David Backes bruins#1

7. Alex Kovalev King Deke

8. Shane Doan Static Shock

9. Antti Niemi TAZER

10. Chris Pronger Snipe_Down

11. Thomas Vanek iHocExperiment

12. David Booth da sabres

13. Scott Hartnell Freezer Burn

14. Daniel Alfredsson Caps Lock

Round 6

1. Steve Mason Caps Lock

2. Bill Guerin Freezer Burn

3. Derek Roy da sabres

4. Bobby Ryan iHocExperiment

5. Ray Whitney Snipe_Down

6. Dustin Brown TAZER

7. Olli Jokinen Static Shock

8. Alexander Frolov King Deke

9. Ilya Bryzgalov bruins#1

10. Marian Hossa GoPuckUr Mother

11. Michael Frolik the breakaways

12. Ryan Smyth Bolzano Jets

13. Ray Emery St. Louis Blues

14. Phil Kessel BLAZE

Edited by AFRO

Without going into too much detail about your draft, both Koivu brothers went way higher than I think they should have. Even for a homer I couldn't take Mikko in the 3rd round. 8th round yes, 3rd, no way.

Mike Green went in the first round in the HotP draft too. I just can't see a D-man going in the first round, but maybe that's me.

Corey Perry and Jeff Carter in the first round doesn't happen in a preseason draft either. All in all it's a very interesting looking draft to one that takes place before the season starts. Good luck again with your team!

Without going into too much detail about your draft, both Koivu brothers went way higher than I think they should have. Even for a homer I couldn't take Mikko in the 3rd round. 8th round yes, 3rd, no way.

Mike Green went in the first round in the HotP draft too. I just can't see a D-man going in the first round, but maybe that's me.

Corey Perry and Jeff Carter in the first round doesn't happen in a preseason draft either. All in all it's a very interesting looking draft to one that takes place before the season starts. Good luck again with your team!

The way things are going for the Wild so far, as a homer, I'd have to say steer clear of all of 'em. Pretty ugly so far :wacko:

After the first week, its been sort of a wild ride already. Most of the guys in the league (though we arent counting scores till tomorrow...) are making moves and are getting the NA,IR players back to waivers or on their IR team roster spot. which is all good.

It seems I had forgotten the PASION of Hockey! The GRACE of the athletes; The sheer INTENSITY of the game. and most of all the EXCITEMENT!!! of NHL..(underscore the sport of hockey)

I have Blackhawks for my local (takes me back to the days of watching J.Roenick & C.Chell-li-ous (sp?) backdays when I was a young'n; For what ever reason, I gravitate toward TB teams as well, I have always sorta liked the Lightning ???)

So I watched a couple games this week (well parts/most of some games this week.) Hawks/Nash - Hawks/Canadians..catching up slowly.. good thing its a long season. Its spuring back memories of the terms, how they approach line changes, penalties and other such lingo(s) -one timer, icing, hooking, etc.etc..-

I think I will do just fine once I get used to the scoring of our league, and can get some concrete stats to crunch relative to our scroing..and find the players whom theya belong to. (and getting them on my team)

In a couple weeks, we're -my girl and her boy- are going to take in an Icehogs (Blackhawk Farm system) game so I will get a taste of the -lower scale- LIVE action!

on the negative side of fantasy things, Luongo busted some ribs up! (man what is it this year and my fantasy guys beaking ribs McNabb,M.Hasslecraps.. now Lugo) so I hope it dosent take the full 4 wks before he shows form again..

Alright men.

later on, thanks again for the insights.

time for the Grid Iron!

• 2 months later...

I'm currently in 9th in the Huddle on the Puddle - 12 team league. My skaters have been fine all year, but I'm getting whitewashed with my goalies. My overall record in the league is something like 2-3-7 or pretty close to that. I still have a shot at getting into the top 6 for the playoffs, but without goaltending it's not too likely.

My drafted goailes were Steve Mason and Khabibulin. I used Deslauriers for quite a while when Khabby went down, but dropped him to pick up Jimmy Howard, who has done just fine for me but Mason is just killing any shot I have of taking any goalie categories. I just picked up DiPietro, so I'm hoping to catch lightning in a bottle there, otherwise I'm screwed. I suppose I could always pick up a Toronto goalie though. :D

Trouble is, it's hard for me to cut ties with Mason because he was pretty damn good last week, and then just last Monday he gives up 6 after 2 periods and gets the hook (again). :wacko:

I've tried trading a couple times, but it's pretty hard to pry away top goalies from their owners, even when you dangle names like Kovalchuk, Nash, and Brad Richards out there. Very competitive and savvy league.

I'm currently in 9th in the Huddle on the Puddle - 12 team league. My skaters have been fine all year, but I'm getting whitewashed with my goalies. My overall record in the league is something like 2-3-7 or pretty close to that. I still have a shot at getting into the top 6 for the playoffs, but without goaltending it's not too likely.

My drafted goailes were Steve Mason and Khabibulin. I used Deslauriers for quite a while when Khabby went down, but dropped him to pick up Jimmy Howard, who has done just fine for me but Mason is just killing any shot I have of taking any goalie categories. I just picked up DiPietro, so I'm hoping to catch lightning in a bottle there, otherwise I'm screwed. I suppose I could always pick up a Toronto goalie though. :D

Trouble is, it's hard for me to cut ties with Mason because he was pretty damn good last week, and then just last Monday he gives up 6 after 2 periods and gets the hook (again). :D

I've tried trading a couple times, but it's pretty hard to pry away top goalies from their owners, even when you dangle names like Kovalchuk, Nash, and Brad Richards out there. Very competitive and savvy league.

I hear ya on the goalies. I drafted Nabakov, Khabibulin, and Varlamov. Was doing pretty well while they were all healthy but then The Bulin Wall fell and Varlamov pulled his groin and hit the IR :D

Picked up Jose Theodore when Khabibulin went on IR and rolled with both the Caps goalies for a bit until Varlamov got hurt. Now, Wash plays Neuvirth more than Theodore so no help there. Picked up Cam Ward (who kinds surprisingly had been dropped earlier when he was on IR) but the Canes have really struggled so he's been bad more than good. If/when Varlamov comes off IR, I will have to get rid of Theodore(likely) or Ward. If anything happens to Nabakov, I am totally hosed :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP..(sort of, dint wanna make a new thread)

Firstly FYI the iHocExperiment has clawed it way into 3rd place! (hoorah!)

First place team is 194-50-29, with league leading 417pts .764 percentage

Second place team is 149-79-45, 343 pts and .628 percentage

my iHoc is 142-90-41, 325pts and .595 percentage

team 4 is on my heals 141-92-40, 322pts and .590 percentage (actually just over took him for third, he was in 2nd most of the season)

fifth place is out quite a ways with 124-97-52, 300pts and .549 percentage

feeling good about my chances vs anyone but team one.. who knows though I may get lucky in the post season....

how are you guys doing this season in your leagues?

anyhow

A Question for the other NHL'ers

What are you guys thoughts on the Olympic break?? as a somewhat new player to NHL Fan-Hockey this seems to be rather intrusive to the process of the season, (and Trading deadlines) I realize folks get amped up to play for thier country during Olympic times. just seems kinda strange that they get a layoff for two weeks during the season..

thoughts?