[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this collusion?

char92474

I'm in a keeper league where you keep two players.  Before keepers are due at the beginning of the season before the draft, you can trade draft picks in the upcoming draft for better keepers.  During the season, you can also trade draft picks in next years draft for players this year.

I offered a guy my  first round  pick next year for Devonte Freeman, which leaves him with only one good keeper option next year (Mark Ingram).  I told him that I will have extra keeper options next year (AJ Green, Beckham, Hunt, Freeman if he accepts the trade) and will be dealing Hunt and Freeman before the draft.  I said that realistically I'll be looking for a 3rd round pick for Hunt or Freeman.  So I told him that if he made the trade and then dealt a 3rd round pick for either Hunt/Freeman or a better keeper option next year, he'd basically be upgrading his 3rd round pick to a 1st round pick at no cost to him.

He wants me to put in writing that I'll trade him Hunt for my 3rd round pick next year.  Would you consider this collusion?  I don't feel bad implying that we could make this deal next year, but realistically figured I'd put Hunt and Freeman on the trade block before the draft, then give this guy final chance to beat any offers I get.  I think it might be crossing the line to officially make a deal for next year, however.

What do you guys think?

No, it's not collusion.  Collusion is secretly cooperating or conspiring with others to cheat or deceive others.  I don't think he's conspiring with anyone else to deceive you.

This guy is telling you exactly what he wants in order for him to trade you Freeman now. 

If anything, I think you're being a bit shady by telling him you'll trade Freeman or Hunt for a 3rd round pick next year and then saying you'll give him the last chance to beat the best offer you have.

• Like 1

I see your point, but wasn't trying to be shady.  My exact words were "I'd be looking for a 3rd round pick for either Hunt or Freeman next year".  I worded it this way intentionally, partially because that's generally how much people are willing to give up in situations like this.  But I mostly worded it this way because I was afraid it could be considered collusion if I agreed up front.  

I figured if I said "I'll trade him to you next year for a 3rd round pick" it could set a bad precedent.  In this league, since you keep 2 players each year, the teams that are in last generally keep their best two players and then try trading away the rest of their roster for draft picks.  So generally there are no real earthshaking trades that really change the balance of the league.  But if teams start agreeing in advance to basically rent players for the remainder of the year in exchange for moving up in the draft the following year, more teams would probably be willing to deal their top players and you could see teams really tip the scales for the rest of the year.

Well with your explanation of things in the above post, it DOES sound like you may be teetering on potentially an unethical trade.  Maybe don't open that can of worms, or at the very least just say he will be out there for a 3rd round pick trade potentially and unless someone goes crazy and offers you a lot more than he's willing, he will have the potential to make that trade himself.  I wouldn't start that precedent, sounds like it could end up ruining the fairness of the league.

I think it might be good to just stay away. I think it could be argued either way, but it’s not ideal when some of the other owners look at you suspiciously, justified or not. I don’t see anything wrong with it personally - but I’d probably just rather avoid the whole situation

I talked about this with the commissioner and he agreed with me.  He’s fine with me making the trade and he’s fine with me telling the other guy that I would give him first chance at Hunt next year and giving him the opportunity to match any offers I have for Hunt.  But he’s uncomfortable with me agreeing up front to trade Hunt to him after the season because of the precedent it sets.  I agree with him about this 100% and now just hope the Freeman owner sees that, regardless, this is a great deal for him to make.

• Like 1