[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any news on Plax?

Bill Swerski

Any news yet on Plax's status for this weekend?  I could really use him in the playoffs.

610456[/snapback]

I am interested in this info as well, but may have to wait until after Wednesday's or Thursday's practice. The latest I saw today was that Plax says he has not felt as good as he did today in a month, but would not say he would definitely play.

Source

Burress nearing his return

By Jerry DiPaola

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

No one is guaranteeing that wide receiver Plaxico Burress will play Saturday in cold Giants Stadium, but he said Tuesday that his injured hamstring is 95 percent healed.

"It felt good; it's the best I felt since I got hurt," said Burress, who ran on the side in the team's indoor practice facility where the thermostat was set at 40 degrees to simulate game-day conditions. "I actually did more than I anticipated today."

Burress hasn't played since he injured his hamstring against the Cincinnati Bengals on Nov. 21, and he said yesterday that he backtracked in his recovery when he ran before the game in Jacksonville on Dec. 5.

"I probably took a setback," he said. "It grabbed me. It wasn't one of those where it hurt and it was sore. It was kind of painful. If I wouldn't have warmed it that week, I would have been 100 percent (for the Jets game)."

But Burress said he told coach Bill Cowher to keep him out of the Jets game to give the injury additional time to heal.

"My thing was getting to the point where I was being myself and running smooth without any herks or jerks and not having any pain," he said.

"It's very important for me to be 100 percent, because with some of the things I do, I need to be 100 percent to get the acceleration I need when the ball is in the air or make a quick move or jump for the football. Right now, I feel I am very close to that. It kind of put a smile on my face because I haven't felt this good in a month."

Burress said he felt no pain or discomfort yesterday, but the true test will come when he participates in passing drills with the rest of the team either today or Thursday.

"I feel great," he said. "I just don't want to rush it back. I have to be honest with myself."

Meanwhile, the Steelers' passing game has fallen to 27th in the NFL after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had his two worst performances Nov. 28 and last Sunday without Burress.

Burress believes he can help, especially if the other team continues to respect the Steelers' running game.

"I think defenses have to be worried about me," he said. "At any given time, you can get a big play in single coverage. I would love for them to keep playing the way they've been playing. If they do that, then, we will be more successful in our passing game and we'll throw the ball a little bit more.

"They've been putting nine, 10 guys in the box and we still have been able to run it. I really hope they put me and Hines (Ward) out there on an island with their corners."

Burress isn't counting on that, however.

"I wouldn't (bet money) on it," he said. "You'd be foolish to do that."

Here is a little clip from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. As I hear mor I will let you know. Kinda sounds like it is going to be a GTD to me.

Field makes difference

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress ran but did not practice yesterday. He has missed the past three games with a hamstring injury, but the FieldTurf at Giants Stadium could be the difference in him playing Saturday.

"That's always a plus to play on a good surface," Burress said. "For me, it will be a good test for me if I can get out there and play. I already know how to play on our field. A good field is always a plus for guys who have muscles strained or things like that."

This is the first time Burress has had a hamstring injury.

"So, it's kind of a scary thing for me because that's what I have to do, I have to run. I don't know how it's going to respond."

A quote from an article in the today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Scratch receiver Plaxico Burress from the game tomorrow against the New York Giants -- in fact, he's planning to give his balky hamstring a three-day vacation

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04352/428215.stm

Edited by max