[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

unfettered ridiculousness

dmarc117

just confiscate a few during class and sell em on ebay

or not....

Officials: Students Break Teacher's Neck Over iPod

Police Arrest Two Suspects

PHILADELPHIA -- Police have arrested and charged two students Friday in an attack on a Germantown High School over an iPod, according to other students and police.

Officials said 60-year-old math and photography teacher Frank Burd broke two bones in his neck.

"You could hear it break. You could hear when he fell on the ground," said Synquetta Reid, a student who saw the incident.

School officials said the teacher had taken an iPod from a student during class, and after class, two students were waiting in the hall for him. One student pushed him and another threw a punch.

"He fell ... on his face. After that, they turned him over and there was all this blood," Reid said.

"I've been told that there's no paralysis involved, but nevertheless, a broken neck is a serious injury," said Paul Vallas, CEO of the Philadelphia School District.

The attackers fled the scene, but police later took a ninth-grader and an eleventh-grader into custody.

They were charged Friday night with aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. A determination has yet to be made on whether the arrested students would face the charges as juveniles or adults.

School officials said the ninth-grader had previously been expelled and was up for expulsion again due to disruptive behavior.

On Friday night, the Germantown High School Alumni Association was celebrating former students who have done the school proud at a fundraiser for construction of a new school library.

Not many of the attendees were past students of Burd's, who has been at the school for 11 years, but they all knew him. He was supposed to be taking pictures at Friday's event.

Despite an absence that was beyond his control, Burd was apparently the one apologizing.

"You know what he said? 'There goes my 100-percent attendance.' That's what he said because he never misses a day," according to principal Dr. Rose Ford. "... He called back to let me know how he was doing and that he'll be back soon."

The spirit may want to rejoin classes soon, but his body might not be able to for some time. Burd remained in intensive care Friday night.

"Actually, the kids wanted to go and see him. We told them that we would wait and send cards, and I confirmed that Mr. Burd is doing well," Ford said.

Some students said Burd was the last teacher they expected to be targeted.

"I didn't believe it was Mr. Burd because I wouldn't think anyone would do something like that to him," said one girl.