[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team is in a bind

Dogstar

My team is currently leading its division, but is bound for a fall as injuries and bye weeks take their toll. I'm in 12-team keeper league with 15 players on a roster. Currently I'm hoping to hold on to Marc Bulger next year for a 9th round pick, Julius Jones for a 3rd, and Willis McGahee for a 2nd. Our trade deadline is the kickoff of Week 8, and the playoffs start Week 14. The league follows a fairly standard scoring system: all TD's are worth 6, 1 pt. for every 25 yards thrown, .1 per reception, 1 pt. for every 10 yards rushing or receiving, -3 pts. for fumbles and interceptions. Defenses are weighted a bit more heavily - 1 pt. for sacks, 3 pts. for turnovers, 6 pts. for TD's, and bonuses and deductions for offensive points allowed. For example, a shutout is worth 20 pts, whereas allowing 40 pts. results in -25 pts.

I didn't think I'd have problems looking down over my roster save for a situation in Week 9 with both McGahee and J. Jones being on byes, along with Bulger. However, Bulger is now hurt, and probably out until Week 10. Drew Bennett is also likely out until Week 11. Horn is questionable with a hamstring injury, and we all know how those can linger and affect performance. Burleson still isn't back from his knee injury. I suspect I'll need both defenses because of match-up issues down the road.

My team is below (we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF):

Bulger, Marc STL QB

Bettis, Jerome PIT RB

Holmes, Priest KCC RB

Jones, Julius DAL RB (Q)

McGahee, Willis BUF RB

Bennett, Drew TEN WR (Q)

Burleson, Nate MIN WR (O)

Harrison, Marvin IND WR

Horn, Joe NOS WR (Q)

Moulds, Eric BUF WR

Smith, Steve CAR WR

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE

Kaeding, Nate SDC PK

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN Def

Falcons, Atlanta ATL Def

To give you an idea of the free agent situation (and the extent other teams' depth charts are filled out), the top two players available at each position are: QB - Aaron Brooks, Gus Frerotte; RB - Patrick Pass, Chester Taylor; WR - Brandon Lloyd, Travis Taylor; TE - Courtney Anderson, Jermaine Wiggins; and Def Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers.

I'm basically unsure how to proceed. I'm tempted to make a trade, but am limited in what I can do as other WR-needy teams aren't thrilled about getting one of my injured ones. My only other easily leverageable asset is Priest Holmes, and unless I'd get a decent RB and WR back for him I don't think it would be worth trading him. The owners of Edge, Tomlinson, and Alexander are unwilling to move them even for deals that include Priest and 1 or 2 of my WR's (unless I throw in Steve Smith). I do have to acquire a QB relatively soon, so I need a roster spot. I just hate dropping someone to watch them get snapped up immediately by another team.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dogstar

Picking up Brooks for the Bus shouldn't be a problem. Besides, it allows me to turn down the trade offers (involving one of my RB's, Steve Smith, or Marvin Harrison) that I've been getting from this one guy who actually has Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, and Tom Brady.

However, it still leaves me with six good WR's (when they're healthy), with the ability to only play three. I'd like to try to send two of them out the door for either Owens, Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, H.Ward, T. Holt, or the Tampa Bay D. Any ideas on whom would be better to target?

Trying to get another running back via trade without giving one up has to proved to be difficult, so it looks like I'll be filling the week 9 hole with a free agent. I'm a bit concerned about the tough defenses Priest has to face later in the season during the fantasy playoffs. I've made offers for Alexander and Edge, who are both on WR-needy teams (forget Tomlinson) that included Priest and either D.Bennett and/or J. Horn (back when both were a bit healthier), but to no avail. I just don't think there's another back out there (beyond Tomlinson, Edge, and Alexander) that has more worth than Priest, and I'm wary of trading him for a lesser back plus a WR. However, I don't know if my evaluation if flawed, and I don't wish to make the wrong decision because I have blinders on.

I like Fitz. The others may have to high a price tag if you can even get the owners to think about it. Maybe you can move Priest for the likes of DD. See who the Fitz owner has at RB and make a package offer for Fitz and a decent back for Priest and Moulds, This would prevent you from ever having to start 2 Bill's players. Which in my opinion is pretty scary!

see mine http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=119981

Edited by fantasyfanatic

Haven't picked up Brooks yet, but the trade offers are starting to roll in:

Trade offers I've received:

1. I'd give up Priest Holmes and Marvin Harrison for Edgerrin James and Tom Brady.

2. I'd give up Atlanta's D and Eric Moulds for Tampa's D.

3. I'd give up Eric Moulds and Marvin Harrison for Terrell Owens.

The first offer is from a team that's one game behind me in the division, and is WR-needy (he's the one that has Palmer, Brady, and E. Manning).

Trade offers I've made:

1. I'd give up any two WR's but Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison for Larry Fitzgerald.

2. I'd give up the same as #1 for Hines Ward.

3. I'd give up the same as #1 for Tory Holt.

4. I'd give up the same as #1 for Chad Johnson.

Fitzgerald and Ward are on the same team, whereas Holt and Johnson are both on WR-needy teams.