[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Detroit - On top of the sporting world

Puddy

In NBA playoff history the home team for Game 7 has won 75 of 92 times (81.5 percent).

Doesn't guarantee a series win but I certainly like to be the one holding the advantage if it goes 7 games.

1428462[/snapback]

The home team was probably the better team in at least 75 of those games.

But sure, all things equal, rather have the game at home, just saying that it's not that big of a deal.

If this is true, how come there is a game 7 to begin with?  To me the fact that a series reaches game 7 means that the two teams are evenly matched.

1428711[/snapback]

They might be, and I'm not suggesting that the "better" team was so much better that they should sweep all the time. But if they had the better record during the season, they were probably the better team. Not always of course, but most of the time.

And I wonder when is the last time that a "weaker" team used home court advatange to win a series (especially in the NBA or Conference Finals, it probably does happen in those 4-5 matchups) that they wouldn't have won otherwise.

They might be, and I'm not suggesting that the "better" team was so much better that they should sweep all the time.  But if they had the better record during the season, they were probably the better team.  Not always of course, but most of the time.

And I wonder when is the last time that a "weaker" team used home court advatange to win a series (especially in the NBA or Conference Finals, it probably does happen in those 4-5 matchups) that they wouldn't have won otherwise.

1428907[/snapback]

1990 Eastern Conference Playoffs (Detroit vs. Chicago). Each team won its home games, but since Detroit had home court advantage they came out ahead 4-3 and won the series. I remember the series well. I really feel that if the Bulls would of had home court advantage they would have won that series and most likely the NBA championship since the west was weak that year. The Detroit team was on the tail end of its success while the Bulls were just coming into their own. The Bulls team would go on later to win 6 championships. Anyone who says that home court doesn't matter needs to look no further than that series.

Every team in the NBA except Houston had a better record at home than on the road.

All but 3 teams in the NHL had better records at home than on the road.

6 MLB teams had better records on the road than at home last year.

5 NFL teams last year had a better record on the road than at home.

Home field advantage is MAJOR, the end.

Of course that does not mean my Pistons or Red Wings will win it, but it DEFINATELY increases their chances.

1990 Eastern Conference Playoffs (Detroit vs. Chicago).  Each team won its home games, but since Detroit had home court advantage they came out ahead 4-3 and won the series.  I remember the series well.  I really feel that if the Bulls would of had home court advantage they would have won that series and most likely the NBA championship since the west was weak that year.  The Detroit team was on the tail end of its success while the Bulls were just coming into their own.  The Bulls team would go on later to win 6 championships.  Anyone who says that home court doesn't matter needs to look no further than that series.

1429097[/snapback]

I'll take your word for that series... and if you are pointing to one series, 16 years ago, then fine... but you are correct, that Bulls team did win 6 titles. 3 of those times, they didn't have home court in the Finals (I think)

In between, the Rockets won twice (once with, once without)...

Anyone remember the year the Lakers beat Philly? Philly could have had home court advatange all the way through, with a win on the last game against the Bulls. Did they try? No, they sat Iverson, sat Mutumbo, and lost. How much did they think it mattered?

I'll take your word for that series... and if you are pointing to one series, 16 years ago, then fine... but you are correct, that Bulls team did win 6 titles.  3 of those times, they didn't have home court in the Finals (I think)

In between, the Rockets won twice (once with, once without)...

Anyone remember the year the Lakers beat Philly?  Philly could have had home court advatange all the way through, with a win on the last game against the Bulls.  Did they try?  No, they sat Iverson, sat Mutumbo, and lost.  How much did they think it mattered?

1429198[/snapback]

Our Pistons did the same thing 2 years ago, that does not change the fact that it (home field) gives us a advantage.