[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BREAKING NEWS: R.BROWN BREAKS HAND, NEEDS SURGERY

vigilantex69

Brown breaks hand, may need surgery

By Greg A. Bedard

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

DETROIT — If the Dolphins are to improve on their four-game winning streak, they may have to do so without running back Ronnie Brown, who left in the third quarter of Thursday's 27-10 victory over the Detroit Lions with an injury to his left hand.

Brown said he believed he fractured the first metacarpal (one of the bones between the wrist and fingers) and likely will need surgery today to stabilize it.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban refused to reveal the extent of Brown's injury.

"We're going to make a report (today) on what Ronnie needs done on his hand," Saban said.

"We'll make the release on it when we have all the information. He does have an issue. He does have a problem. We just don't know what the prognosis is."

The only time the Dolphins provide news releases on injuries is when a player has in-season surgery.

Brown's injury and likely surgery are thought to be similar to that of strong safety Travares Tillman.

Tillman had surgery Monday to put two screws into the fourth metacarpal of his left hand.

Saban said Tillman's injury was "not a long-term thing." Tillman was inactive against the Lions but might be ready to face the Jacksonville Jaguars on Dec. 3.

The Dolphins will know more about the extent of Brown's injury after he is evaluated today. But Brown's hand was severely swollen after the game.

Brown was disappointed that a promising game (68 yards on 15 carries) was ruined but was encouraged by the performance of backup Sammy Morris.

"We were able to get the running game going and then fluke junk like this happens," Brown said. "But Sammy went in and did a great job. That's a good sign."

Morris had a season-high 91 yards on 12 carries, including a 55-yard run in the third quarter that was the Dolphins' longest play of the season.

"It's been a process of kind of getting back in the groove, physically and emotionally for me," said Morris, who was suspended for the first four games for testing positive for a banned substance.

When asked whether he was ready to step in if Brown is out for a long period, Morris didn't hesitate.

"Yup, plain and simple," he said. "What else do you want me to say?

"I feel confident in what I bring to the table and we'll take it as it comes."

Let 'em play: The Dolphins, who are unaccustomed to relatively easy victories, used the 17-point cushion to get work for left guard Toniu Fonoti and quarterback Cleo Lemon.

Fonoti played most of the fourth quarter in relief of Kendyl Jacox, who started his second consecutive game for the injured Jeno James.

Lemon did not attempt a pass in the series he played after replacing Joey Harrington, the former Lion who was the focus of TV cameras when he trotted off the field with a few minutes remaining in the game.

"If something happens to Joey, Cleo's going to have to play and we haven't had an opportunity where we could put him in just to get some snaps and hand the ball off," Saban said. "There wasn't any other motive about it other than to get Cleo in to take a few snaps."

Lots of penalties: The Dolphins tied a season high with 11 penalties; their 100 penalty yards were the most of the season.

They committed four false-start penalties on the offensive line, and defensive end Jason Taylor was called for a personal foul when he grabbed the facemask of Lions quarterback Jon Kitna on a play in which the Dolphins might have had a safety.

Sponsored Links

I play in three redraft leagues ...

Three First Round picks this year?

- Portis (three days before he got hurt)

- SAlex (starting him this week hoping he's back)

- RBrown (dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thank God for Frank Gore is all I can say!