[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elvis Costello

detlef

Warning, if you arent a music geek, there's a very good chance that you'll find this totally lame. Proceed directly to the nearest thread about baby powder.

Back in HS, I used to listen to him a bunch. I'm old enough that he was still putting out a lot of music but young enough that I ended up buying a lot of stuff that had been recorded earlier. I think his current release when I got on board was King of America.

At any rate, I always argued with this one friend of mine about his best album. I always said This Year's Model, he said Trust. Obviously I was right. Funny thing is, I actually went to the geeky Indy Record store to try to settle the argument (picture "Championship Vinyl"). After the geeks got all high and mighty and admonished me for trying to compare the two, they relented and agreed that TYM, was in fact, the better album.

At any rate, it's been an on going joke whenever the two of us talk or he'll make some random reference to it in an e-mail thread among the old crew. Whatever.

The other morning, I woke and checked my e-mail to see a 20 e-mail thread of banter among the old crew about the Warriors (I'm from the SF bay area). Some pretty funny stuff actually. I chimed in and my friend threw me a shout out along with the obligitory "Trust is still better than This Years Model". Another guy who hadn't gone to school with us but had joined the circle or friends later joined the music geek-off and told us we were both high and that Imperial Bedroom was better than both, blah, blah.

Gotta say, it's a whole lot of fun arguing pointless crap with old friends. Funny thing, my friend who I started the argument admitted this time that he's actually agreed with me practially since HS but kept bringing it up for the sake nostalgia.

None the less, sometime between vinyl and CDs, I sort of fell out of my Elvis Costello craze so only replaced This Years Model and Imperial Bedroom (the second of which I lost anyway). This whole argument 'caused me to remember how freaking great that guys music is. I've since grabbed King of America and Imperial Bedroom off itunes and am listening to them all the time. KoA as I write this.

If you ever liked this guys music and haven't listened to it in a while, you owe it to yourself to blow the dust off 'em and remind yourself.

:D:D:tup:

of his old stuff i only have a 'greatest hits' compilation, which is great indeed, but i really need to some of the individual albums. IMO that guy has to be one of the best pop songwriters ever.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and figure that you already gathered from my post that This Years Model is a great place to start but it really is. Solid album from start to finish.