[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDTV question

CaP'N GRuNGe

I just bought a 32 inch LCD HDTV made by Vizio from Sam's Club. I have digital cable with a box, but haven't upgraded to an HD box yet. I hooked it up to the cable box and the picture isn't bad, but I've had issues with the audio and video "freezing" for say 10 seconds sometimes.

Any idea if my TV may be bad or if it's probably just a compatibility issue with the old cable box? My plan is to go grab an HD cable box tonight after work and see if I still have the issue. If so, back to Sam's Club I go.

I've had bad luck with TV's. I'd hate to think I've picked up yet another lemon. :D

I just bought a 32 inch LCD HDTV made by Vizio from Sam's Club. I have digital cable with a box, but haven't upgraded to an HD box yet. I hooked it up to the cable box and the picture isn't bad, but I've had issues with the audio and video "freezing" for say 10 seconds sometimes.

Any idea if my TV may be bad or if it's probably just a compatibility issue with the old cable box? My plan is to go grab an HD cable box tonight after work and see if I still have the issue. If so, back to Sam's Club I go.

I've had bad luck with TV's. I'd hate to think I've picked up yet another lemon. :D

Had a problem like that...it is the Sat and not the TV. Call the Sat company and if you get the person that really knows something he/she will tell you that you will need an upgrade download..... I don't think the problem will correct with the new box until you have the right software on it.... so even with the new box you will still have the freezing problem. At least that is the way it was for me.... the guy at comcast had me taken care if no time...was nice.

Audio and video freezes or dropouts are most often associated with the decoder rather then the TV itself. Make sure that all of your cable connections are good, cable ends are crimped correctly, etc. If the cable box has multiple types of audio or video connectors, try using another type, i.e. component instead of s-video. If you can hook the box up to another TV, check to make sur ehte box itslef is working properly. Also, never rule out that the cable company has f'ed something up.

At this point I only have the coax cable hookup to the box and then to the TV.

I understand that with the new HD cable box, they'll give me the 5 prong new style AV cables to connect the box to the TV. I was told from another Cox Cable user to not bother with HDMI as the company "does not support them", whatever that means. Also have an old VCR and DVD hooked up as well. I guess maybe an issue could be there too?

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Had a problem like that...it is the Sat and not the TV. Call the Sat company and if you get the person that really knows something he/she will tell you that you will need an upgrade download..... I don't think the problem will correct with the new box until you have the right software on it.... so even with the new box you will still have the freezing problem. At least that is the way it was for me.... the guy at comcast had me taken care if no time...was nice.

AFAIK, if you have cable service, that should not be happening - HD box or no HD box.

Comcast is cable, correct?

I understand that with the new HD cable box, they'll give me the 5 prong new style AV cables to connect the box to the TV. I was told from another Cox Cable user to not bother with HDMI as the company "does not support them", whatever that means. Also have an old VCR and DVD hooked up as well. I guess maybe an issue could be there too?

If the DVD and VCR player work fine, then it's not the Tv. It could be the input for the cable box on the TV. That's why I suggest trying as many different types of connections as possibe in an attempt to rule things out.

If it happens with everything (cable, vcr, dvd) then it is the TV and it should be taken back.

that's unfortunate that they don't support HDMI...

and it sounds like you have a beat box unless you have things configured incorrectly....

which is their job to handle anyways......

I would make sure everything is hooked up properly and if it doesn't work, unplug your box for about a minute and plug it back in....

I was told from another Cox Cable user to not bother with HDMI as the company "does not support them", whatever that means.

That sounds a little funny to me.. you may want to double check. If figured every HD box had an HDMI output in this day and age :D. Time Warner has had that option for quite a while (at least Spring 06 when I started looking).

If you are daisy chaining the Cable box thru the VCR to the TV, try a direct box to TV and see if it does the same thing. I find it hard to believe that Cox doesn't support or have HDMI or DVI connectors. Even SD looks better thru that than thru coax.

If you are daisy chaining the Cable box thru the VCR to the TV, try a direct box to TV and see if it does the same thing. I find it hard to believe that Cox doesn't support or have HDMI or DVI connectors. Even SD looks better thru that than thru coax.

yuup...HDMI makes everything look and sound better...

That sounds a little funny to me.. you may want to double check. If figured every HD box had an HDMI output in this day and age :D. Time Warner has had that option for quite a while (at least Spring 06 when I started looking).

I agreed. I find it hard to believe that any decent cable company that sells an HD service doesn't support HDMI. When you get the HD box look on the back for what looks like an over-sized USB connection. It it's there. you have HDMI.