[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Little League

Missoula Griz

It starts tonight with the first regional. I think Georgia and Alabama on ESPN 6pm my time.

My 11 year old son and I try to watch as many games from the regionals through the world series. The quality of baseball blows me away. I have coached little league all stars for the last few years which makes watching some of these players even more amazing.

Will be flippin between the Cowboys and little league game tonight.

It starts tonight with the first regional. I think Georgia and Alabama on ESPN 6pm my time.

My 11 year old son and I try to watch as many games from the regionals through the world series. The quality of baseball blows me away. I have coached little league all stars for the last few years which makes watching some of these players even more amazing.

Will be flippin between the Cowboys and little league game tonight.

One of my top 5 favorite things in all of sports. I love this time of year!

Great game last night. Georgia just pulled it out. Our Missoula team plays today against Kent Washington in the Northwest Semi in California.

Washington beat us by 10 runs earlier in the week. They will win the Northwest. They have one of the best pitchers in the country. Coaches son. He has one perfect game at the regional. He has only given up one hit in 8 innings.

Only watched a few minutes of the 4th inning, but saw some high drama.

Did anyone see the GA kid who was upset at his coach for being pulled after the AL kid's 3-run dinger? I kept thinking, "I hope my kid wouldn't do that on national tv..." The kid probably forgot his coach was mic'ed up out there on the mound, but the coach didn't - he showed amazing restraint in his response. :D

Only watched a few minutes of the 4th inning, but saw some high drama.

Did anyone see the GA kid who was upset at his coach for being pulled after the AL kid's 3-run dinger? I kept thinking, "I hope my kid wouldn't do that on national tv..." The kid probably forgot his coach was mic'ed up out there on the mound, but the coach didn't - he showed amazing restraint in his response. :D

Yes I saw that. I watched the whole game last night around 4am. Woke up to a thunderstorm and could not get back to sleep.

It is so hard for those kids to hold their emotions in place. My son was the best player on our all star team, but he let his emotions get to him way to many times. I could understand him going 0 for 4, but to let your team down because your still thinking about your error or strikeout was hard to swallow.

I was the same way when I was his age, and it took me into my teen years before I grew out of it. I try to talk to him about it after each game, reminding him its just a sport we play for fun.

Is there a game tonight?

Anyone remember the team a couple years back from Apopka, Florida? I knew many of those kids on that team, that city is about 20 minutes from me. The LLWS is a blast to watch....

The only thing I don't like about the LLWS is the umpiring. I know they voluteer their time but the strike zone is terrible. No doubt balls get called strikes. Every year. I watched the first couple innings last night and it was the same thing.

I'll still tune in to the point I can't watch anymore but that part drives me nuts every year.

Ok, bash away.

Is there a game tonight?

Anyone remember the team a couple years back from Apopka, Florida? I knew many of those kids on that team, that city is about 20 minutes from me. The LLWS is a blast to watch....

West Texas plays New Mexico tonight. Should be a great game. Both teams went undefeated in pool play. New Mexico did not give up a run in pool play.

The only thing I don't like about the LLWS is the umpiring. I know they voluteer their time but the strike zone is terrible. No doubt balls get called strikes. Every year. I watched the first couple innings last night and it was the same thing.

I'll still tune in to the point I can't watch anymore but that part drives me nuts every year.

Ok, bash away.

I completely agree with you. She took the bat out of several hitters hands last night with her shin to chin strike zone. She also gave about 6 inches off the corners to the pitchers.

The strikezone is too big for this level of talent.

West Texas plays New Mexico tonight. Should be a great game. Both teams went undefeated in pool play. New Mexico did not give up a run in pool play.

Sounds goooood, i'll toggle between that and the preseason games

Ok, bash away.

If its consistent, you should be able to compensate as a hitter. Or just tell them what I do, "Swing at anything close!"

If its consistent, you should be able to compensate as a hitter. Or just tell them what I do, "Swing at anything close!"

Unfortunately some of those pitches aren't "close" and if you do swing at them more then likely you'll miss.

You coach the kids all season to only swing at pictches in the strike zone. Then you get a umpire who stretches it too big. It takes the kids out of their rythm.

Many players are pretty short at that age, as is my son. To expect them to hit a fast ball 6 inches off the outside corner is asking too much.

You coach the kids all season to only swing at pictches in the strike zone. Then you get a umpire who stretches it too big. It takes the kids out of their rythm.

Many players are pretty short at that age, as is my son. To expect them to hit a fast ball 6 inches off the outside corner is asking too much.

So you'd rather them look at a called 3rd strike? I only say the phrase above after a called 2nd strike, and I tell my guys its better to go down swinging than looking. As you said, the little guys probably won't be able to drive those outside ones for a solid hit, but if they can just get a bat on it, its a foul or it puts the ball in play. Then hope for an error, which happens a lot with 8-10 year olds.

Unless its a close game in the late innings, then more strategizing must be done.....

So you'd rather them look at a called 3rd strike? I only say the phrase above after a called 2nd strike, and I tell my guys its better to go down swinging than looking. As you said, the little guys probably won't be able to drive those outside ones for a solid hit, but if they can just get a bat on it, its a foul or it puts the ball in play. Then hope for an error, which happens a lot with 8-10 year olds.

Unless its a close game in the late innings, then more strategizing must be done.....

I never said that at all. You coach the kids to be very aggresive anytime they have two strikes on them. I was just making a statement on WHY you see frustration from some of the players when balls are called strikes.

I think MOST kids at that level KNOW their strike zone better then the umpires.