[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

picking 3rd in 14 man league

cschulz21

Need some final advice going into my draft. In 14 man league and have the 3rd pick..I have debated back and forth with Gore/LJ especially with LJ signing. In this size of a league do you look to make more of a sure thing like LJ since he hasn't been injured like Gore has been. I know the OL/QB is a ?? mark right now with KC but the caliber RB you get on the way back is nothing to brag about.. What to do here?

Since the first pick might be a gut feeling at time of the draft, I am more looking at my 2nd/3rd/4th picks. At picks 26 and 31 do you go RB again even though i am probably looking at a Brandon Jacobs,Edge,Marshawn Lynch, or even Portis or do you towards a higher tier WR? Or QB knowing I could get Brees/Bulger/maybe Palmer if he slips?

Personally I am thinking about going with a QB somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round b/c talent at WR seems to equal out more so I could go WR/WR with 4th and 5th pick especially since our league has a stupid 10point bonus on 300yrd games.

What are your thoughts?

14 man leagues are tough. I think you need to gamble a little more. Therefore I would take LJ over Gore (Not that LJ is a gamble, but I think he has more upside, He can be a monster). As far as trying to guess on your second and third picks, you need to wait and see. Too many things can happen in a league of that size for you to go in with a plan of what position you are going to pick in a certain round. I think you need to pick on value when it is present

Edited by Rudy

Well, for starters, I prefer Gore to LJ.

Secondly, I really don't think you can afford to go QB in the 2nd or 3rd. I think you need to take the best available between RB and WR with a nod going to locking down your starting 2 RBs. However, if nothing but stiffs are left at RB, that'll mean you can get 2 great WRs. I mean, is it worth taking Jamal Lewis over a top WRs at 31 just because all the other RBs are taken? I mean, it sucks to have a bad RB2, but it sucks even worse to have a bad RB2 and a bad WR2 and that's what will happen if you panic and grab some hack RB just because you think you have to.

14 man leagues are tough. I think you need to gamble a little more. Therefore I would take LJ over Gore (Not that LJ is a gamble, but I think he has more upside, He can be a monster). As far as trying to guess on your second and third picks, you need to wait and see. Too many things can happen in a league of that size for you to go in with a plan of what position you are going to pick in a certain round. I think you need to pick on value when it is present

Alright, what is better value then M. Lynch/Edge/Portis B.Jacobs/ rank them vs T.Holt/Fitz/Roy williams/Reggie Wayne/TO vs Brees/Bulger/Brady..

I know that i will need to wait but I can tell you that by my second pick 20RB's will be gone 3WR's and 2QB's give or take 1 on each category

Alright, what is better value then M. Lynch/Edge/Portis B.Jacobs/ rank them vs T.Holt/Fitz/Roy williams/Reggie Wayne/TO vs Brees/Bulger/Brady..

I know that i will need to wait but I can tell you that by my second pick 20RB's will be gone 3WR's and 2QB's give or take 1 on each category

I would take anyone of those wide recievers over any one of the rb and qb. When it came back around there still might be one of the qb's left, there still might be one of the rb's left. I am pretty sure there wont be any of those wr's left.

If those 3 qbs are gone, and you pick one of those wr's. you can probally get Kitna a round or 2 later, who I think will be pretty solid this year.

So, I would pass on the qb, take a wr, hopefully get a decent rb next, then pick Kitna the next round.

I am in the same exact dilemma as you. I pick 3rd in a 14 team league, I am leaning more and more toward Frank Gore because of the same reasons you listed about LJ. O-Line is not the same, no receivers, and no QB. What is going to stop a defense from putting 8 in the box???

I think I go Gore, and if I get lucky, I get Steve Jackson...

As for the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I'm going RB 2nd and the best available QB. In my league, a QB gets me 6pts/TD and even though I get PPR, the WR doesn't touch the ball the majority of the game like a RB/QB.

My first picks will look like this:

RB-RB-QB

Sure, things can change in such a large league, but, thats my gut. I hope that helps some.