[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fuel oil

Front Row

An open fireplace is extremely inefficient though. Most of the heat is going straight up the chimney. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but if I put in an alternative heating source, I'm all about the efficiency.

If I put in a chimney for a wood stove, it's going to run me about $1500, so far as I can tell. That duravent stuff is mighty expensive and my house is a two story colonial. Ka ching.

Do any of you have wood stoves in the basement, relying on the heat radiating up to warm the first floor of the house?

Czar,

I have a wood stove in the basement. With the basement door open, it will heat the entire house. Yes, some corners are colder then others. This year I may try to improve upon the air circulation. I don't usually let it run during the day when we aren't home. But if I fire it up at 5:00 on Friday and run it until 8:00 Monday morning, the furnace does not need to kick in. I spent about $800 on the chimney. However, that end of the house is only 1 1/2 stories above grade, so it only required about 24 feet of pipe. With using the stove last year, my oil bill was about half of what it was the year prior.

An open fireplace is extremely inefficient though. Most of the heat is going straight up the chimney. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but if I put in an alternative heating source, I'm all about the efficiency.

If I put in a chimney for a wood stove, it's going to run me about $1500, so far as I can tell. That duravent stuff is mighty expensive and my house is a two story colonial. Ka ching.

Do any of you have wood stoves in the basement, relying on the heat radiating up to warm the first floor of the house?

i have a fire place with a blower on it and it heat the house to 68 or more unless the temp outside is below 5 degrees.... my boiler usually doesn't run except in jan and feb

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

:highfive: ...to Yuk's ZERO...

Cut four loads of oak (about 2 cords) this weekend. Don't know how you gas/oil burners do it. Literally sending the money right up the chimney. Plus, the fireplace is EXTREMELY cozy on those chilly evenings. :D:wacko::D:D

Yup, I'm all set for my first burn of the year tonight, the wife and kids can't wait!

i have a fire place with a blower on it and it heat the house to 68 or more unless the temp outside is below 5 degrees.... my boiler usually doesn't run except in jan and feb

+1, and that blower is the only reason I burn in the fireplace, otherrwise it wouldn't be worth it IMO.