[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

White Coat Syndrome

whomper

Does anyone else have experience with this ? For those that dont know what it is as I understand it it is a tremendous fear of going to the Doctors or Doctors in general. I think technically the term white coat syndrome means the patients blood pressure goes up at the Drs office for no apparent reason but I also understand it to be fear of Drs..I could be wrong with the term but regardless heres the story .My mother in law has this big time and it is a major problem. She is 70 and should be getting some basic regular check ups but refuses..She had a major tooth ache a few years ago and my wife had to plead with her to go..Finally she couldnt take it anymore and went to our dentist..He took care of her. When I spoke with him during my check up he said she was petrified..Now she has been in bed with a bad stomach ache for a solid week..She hasnt been able to hold anything down and is complaining of stomach pains..My wife went over there this morning to plead with her to go to the ER..After the dentist experience she got slightly better and actually had a few appointments but now is back to her bad habits..She has an apointment to get some scans on her stomach but not until 12/11 which was fine with her..My wife isnt having it and has been there for 3 hours trying to force her to go to the ER..Its really a bad scene. Very tough to deal with..I had a friend whose Dad was in his 50s..Never ever went to the doctor..He swore everytime you go they find something and its a racket etc etc..He had a heart attack and died 2 years ago on Christmas eve..Probably couldve been avoided with some simple basic EKGs and regular check ups and maybe a procedure..Anyone else deal with this ?

Edited by whomper

Thats what my cardiologist thinks may be the problem with my rapid heartbeat. I have to get another stress done in January, all this started during/after my knee replacement. My heart rate was 145 at the hospital and 115 when I left, after I got home it was in the 80's :D

Thats what my cardiologist thinks may be the problem with my rapid heartbeat. I have to get another stress done in January, all this started during/after my knee replacement. My heart rate was 145 at the hospital and 115 when I left, after I got home it was in the 80's :D

Similar here! Before I go to the Docs office, my BP will be like 132/80, pulse 80, not great but not too bad. In the office, 145/90, pulse 95! :wacko: Yes, I took my BP machine into the office to check against theirs and the numbers were very close. Going in Tues. for a pre-surgery check-up, but I've been on BP meds for 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes. :D

Sorry to read your MIL has iatrophobia (a fear of going to the doctor). :D

I do not wear a white coat in the office for that reason. I also do not have any syringes, speculums, needles, etc. out where a patient can see them when she first enters the exam room. Getting the patient to relax as much as possible is the key to establishing an effective doctor-patient relationship.