[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need to Pick 4

Acer

Here is the situation: 12 teams/6 keepers each/non auction draft/points league. I plan on keeping Jason Giambi and Troy Glaus

I need to pick 4 from the following: Smoltz, Freddie Garcia, Roy Oswalt, Carlos Beltran, Kendall and Mike Sweeney.

I have leaning towards Kendall, Sweeney, Oswalt and Garcia.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have to agree with yellow on this one. It is tough to through Oswalt out, but it would be nice to start with one OF. Beltran is, in my mind, the up and coming young OF out there (behind Guerrero). You have some nice VERY young players, that will help you for 10 or more years.

i like your first impression, but the argument about beltran makes some sense.

the crux is question is "who's still avaailable in the outfield, when your draft starts?"

for example, if berkman, stewart, larry walker, and ryan klesko will be available, then you'll have something decent to build a decent outfield on. if not, it looks like keeping beltran is the best option.

imo, wins are the toughest stat to accumulate during a season. oswalt sure got more than his share last year. what will be available as your draft starts at the pitching position?

don't post a full list. just the names of the top eight or so. then, we'll have our bearings about your situation.

good question.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: allthumbs ]

I actually wouldn't struggle too much with this scenario. Glaus and Giambi are great choices. Kendall is a keeper since you know Pudge, Piazza, Posada and LoDuca aren't going into the draft pool. Garcia and Oswalt are a great foundation for your pitching staff.

Out of the others, Sweeney is out since you have Giambi to cover 1B. He's not a bad player, but Giambi is the obvious better choice and it doesn't make sense to hold two 1Bs for keepers.

So, that leaves Smoltz or Beltran. I would NOT agree with cutting Oswalt loose to keep Beltran. Oswalt is young, showed a great deal of talent and is showing as a 2nd/3rd round pick in most mocks. You have a potential keeper for many years to come. Personally, when it comes to keepers and there is no clear right answer, choose youth over position. Keep Beltran, dump the risky Smoltz and seek out an alternate RP in the 1st/2nd round of the draft...

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: tornbicep ]