[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Fantasy" Pennsylvania High School Wrestling League

Menudo

Well, I'm sure the title will elicit some giggles................... :wacko:

I'm almost as fanatical into wrestling as I am into football. High School Wrestling is big in PA, there is no doubt that the best High School wrestlers come from this state. At the end of each year, there is an all-star match called the Dapper Dan, which is between PA's best and the rest of the Nation's best. The match usually is competitive. PA also leads the nation in All-American's every year. I wrestled since I was 5, and actually did a bit better in wrestling than I did in football. Pitt's head wrestling coach was promising me a partial scholarship to go there and wrestle. Though, deep down, I felt burned out of wrestling, if he had given me that scholarship, I would have went there to wrestling. He eventually told me he couldn't give me the scholarship, so, I decided to play D3 football instead, where I wasn't burned out. During college and for a few years after, I really didn't pay attention to High School Wrestling. Then one year, I went back to watch States, and I haven't stopped following since. I actually do a lot of writing and rankings on the internet. I used to do more prior to my son being born, but, I still follow it big time. O.k. that is the boring backstory, now to my point.

There are several of other wrestling fanatics who do rankings, articles, etc. that I have become friends with through the years. I had the idea for a fantasy league for a couple of years, and actually got it running this year. I set up rules, where basically all points come from what a kid does at the State tournament. If you draft someone that doesn't make it to states, you get nothing. We did the draft through e-mail and then a chat room, and it was a lot of fun.

I never thought I'd see the day that fantasy sports would move into the high school sports realm. So, I was wondering, have any of you guys done fantasy leagues in "odd" sports, AND, are there any other former wrestlers, or wrestling fans among us ????

Well, I'm sure the title will elicit some giggles................... :wacko:

I'm almost as fanatical into wrestling as I am into football. High School Wrestling is big in PA, there is no doubt that the best High School wrestlers come from this state. At the end of each year, there is an all-star match called the Dapper Dan, which is between PA's best and the rest of the Nation's best. The match usually is competitive. PA also leads the nation in All-American's every year. I wrestled since I was 5, and actually did a bit better in wrestling than I did in football. Pitt's head wrestling coach was promising me a partial scholarship to go there and wrestle. Though, deep down, I felt burned out of wrestling, if he had given me that scholarship, I would have went there to wrestling. He eventually told me he couldn't give me the scholarship, so, I decided to play D3 football instead, where I wasn't burned out. During college and for a few years after, I really didn't pay attention to High School Wrestling. Then one year, I went back to watch States, and I haven't stopped following since. I actually do a lot of writing and rankings on the internet. I used to do more prior to my son being born, but, I still follow it big time. O.k. that is the boring backstory, now to my point.

There are several of other wrestling fanatics who do rankings, articles, etc. that I have become friends with through the years. I had the idea for a fantasy league for a couple of years, and actually got it running this year. I set up rules, where basically all points come from what a kid does at the State tournament. If you draft someone that doesn't make it to states, you get nothing. We did the draft through e-mail and then a chat room, and it was a lot of fun.

I never thought I'd see the day that fantasy sports would move into the high school sports realm. So, I was wondering, have any of you guys done fantasy leagues in "odd" sports, AND, are there any other former wrestlers, or wrestling fans among us ????

Beware of Dateline.

I have played fantasy golf a few times. Played it just like football where we drafted from all players and had a starting lineup of 3 pga, 1senior pga, and 1LPGA. It really was a pretty fun thing that I would be very much willing to do again. Sort of got us past the off season of football.