[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 year old girl gets banned from tennis club...

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

The MELBOURNE HERALD-SUN lobs over news that an Australian tennis player has been banned from her local club because she grunts too loud.

Lauryn Edwards 9-year-old tennis grunter

The real kicker - she’s only 9 years old.

The parents of Lauryn Edwards were told by the Mt. Carmel Tennis Club that their daughter was no longer welcome, after the young girl’s opponent complained about her in-match vocalizing.

It’s no surprise that Edwards’ favorite player is Maria Sharapova, but it is surprising why Lauryn took up the sport in the first place.

The youngster, who’s been racketeering since she was four, suffers from attention deficit disorder. A school psychologist recommended Lauryn play tennis to “burn energy and keep her focused.”

And Lauryn scoffs at any notions that she’s using her grunts solely as a distraction:

“It feels natural to do my noise. I’m not faking it. It makes me play better. When I don’t do it, I don’t play my best tennis. And now people have told me I can’t play if I do it.”

Naturally, Lauryn’s dad Duncan is furious with the club:

“They told me to guarantee she won’t grunt or she can’t play. How can I guarantee that? She’s been doing it since she was really little. She’s her own person.”

“What do they want me to do? Put Band-Aids over her mouth? They made her cry on the court when they told her.”

Maria Sharapova shout

What’s up with some of these Aussies’ aversions to on-court shrieking? Back in December, former champ Judy Dalton called out Sharapova on her “excruciating” grunts.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan