[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cy Young...for Soylent Green

skylive5

The reason I believe he is the best of all time, is that he set a record that will, IMHO, never, ever be beat. 511 wins... no one will beat it, no one will come close.

No other sport has a record like that. If there was ever a record that can't be broken... it is that one.

Not only that, the guy pitched for 22 years and for 21 of them pitched

over 374 innings each year with a career ERA of 2.63. In addition he had a .210 batting average with 290 RBI's and 18 HR's and 35 triples!, so he was of great value for his team on the offensive side as well.

And here is a note for ya:

Hitless Streak

In 1904, Young crafted one of the most amazing streaks of pitching excellence in baseball history. The right-hander pitched 24 1/3 innings without surrendering a hit, through May 11. Young had pitched two hitless innings at the end of a loss on April 25, seven innings of hitless relief on April 30, and a perfect game on May 5 against future Hall of Famer Rube Waddell and the Athletics. Against Detroit on May 11, Young went 15 innings, winning 1-0, and failed to allow a hit until one was out in the seventh inning.

These are the reasons I feel he is the Best There Ever Was when it comes to MLB Pitchers.

Thanks sky, those are impressive stats indeed and I never meant to imply Cy Young wasn't the best ever.

I have never enjoyed watching baseball on television and as a kid, never lived in a city that had MLB so I am no expert on the game. I just wondered what your reasoning was.

You'll see why I asked over in the football forum. :D