[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wish Me Luck

Easy n Dirty

About two weeks ago, I entered a $50 satellite tournament on Ultimate Bet - a little pricey by my standards, but I was coming off a good week. Only 17 people entered, and I managed to win that, which gives me a seat in their monthly online pro bounty tournament tonight - a seat which would otherwise cost $1,000 plus a $50 fee. Prize pool is $100k guaranteed, and supposedly Phil mHellmuth and Annie Duke will both be playing with a $1k bounty on their heads.

Tournament starts in about 2 hours (8Pm Eastern time), and I'm starting to get a little nervous - I'm thinking there's be about 120 payers in it, including several online poker pros (PokerHo for sure, maybe Krazy Kanuck and some others) - I'm a little out of my league here and will likely fall on my face, but man even finishing in the top 20 would probably net me a cool thousand, and top five could mean ten grand or more.

I don't have any specific strategy going in - probably play very tight to begin with until he nerves wear off a little, then see how it goes from there.

Take it down bro.

Before playing a tourney, I often think of the scene from The Hustler just before Eddie plays against Fats the first time:

Charlie: How do you feel, kid?

Eddie: Fast and loose, man

Charlie: I mean in the gut. . .

Eddie: I feel tight, but good.

In 4 lines the movie really captures what pre-game jitters and excitement are all about.

Wow, was that ever a disappointment.

Nothing went right - when I missed the flop and made a continuation bet, I got called, or worse yet raised. When I hit the flop and made a continuation bet, they folded. At least two times when I had a hgh pocket pair (once 10-10, once K-K), the flop brought an ace and I had to throw it away.

About 90 minutes in, I was down to about 1100 from a starting stack of 2500. I checked from the big blind with J-9, flop came J high with 2 clubs. I made a pot-sized bet of 210, first limper raised to about 800, second limper folded. I put him on a flush draw and pushed my remaining chips in, he was pot committed and called, and he was on a flush draw...which he promptly hit on the turn, and I was sent packing in 96th place out of 114 total entries (PokerHo was right behind me to the rail finishing in 95th place). Hugh letdown.

Phil Hellmuth and Annie Duke were both seated at the same starting table, which seemed kinda' bogus but presumably it was a random draw. At the point when I got eliminated, neither had yet bothered to show up. Just went back to check, and as of now, almost two hours in, neither has taken a seat and both have been blinded down to below 1,000, with blinds now at 100/200. Someone is going to get a nice $1k payday just for being lucky enough to be the one to take them out when they get blinded down (should be an interesting hand when that happens, people will try to limp with anything I'm sure). At least Annie Duke has been moved to another table to spread the wealth a little, but it seems they should be able to show up, I'm sure UB pays them fairly well.

Wow, was that ever a disappointment.

Nothing went right - when I missed the flop and made a continuation bet, I got called, or worse yet raised. When I hit the flop and made a continuation bet, they folded. At least two times when I had a hgh pocket pair (once 10-10, once K-K), the flop brought an ace and I had to throw it away.

About 90 minutes in, I was down to about 1100 from a starting stack of 2500. I checked from the big blind with J-9, flop came J high with 2 clubs. I made a pot-sized bet of 210, first limper raised to about 800, second limper folded. I put him on a flush draw and pushed my remaining chips in, he was pot committed and called, and he was on a flush draw...which he promptly hit on the turn, and I was sent packing in 96th place out of 114 total entries (PokerHo was right behind me to the rail finishing in 95th place). Hugh letdown.

Phil Hellmuth and Annie Duke were both seated at the same starting table, which seemed kinda' bogus but presumably it was a random draw. At the point when I got eliminated, neither had yet bothered to show up. Just went back to check, and as of now, almost two hours in, neither has taken a seat and both have been blinded down to below 1,000, with blinds now at 100/200. Someone is going to get a nice $1k payday just for being lucky enough to be the one to take them out when they get blinded down (should be an interesting hand when that happens, people will try to limp with anything I'm sure). At least Annie Duke has been moved to another table to spread the wealth a little, but it seems they should be able to show up, I'm sure UB pays them fairly well.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Now, when one of them is all in on a blind or ante, someone will b, or should be smart enough to make a raise large enough to force out just about everyone else to try to isolate for the bounty.