[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ripping CDs

CaP'N GRuNGe

So I finally want to get serious about getting my entire CD collection onto my media player. I don't have an i-Pod which I noticed uses something called MPeg4. I have an Archos 504 PMP which requires me to use Windows Media Player to rip my CDs and sync from. So what should I be using when i rip them?

Various Windows Media Audio options, MP3, WAV (lossless)?

I had assumed MP3? What bit rate? 128, 192, 256, 320?

I ripped one CD as MP3 at 320 and the size was pretty hugh.

Is their a good standard here for best type/size? Thanks.

Oh yeah - my player is 40GB and I have maybe 200 CDs give or take. Of course I want to leave some room to upload the occasional movie. Which reminds me, can anyone recommend decent easy to use free software to download to rip DVDs onto my PC so I can upload to the player?

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

If you're using ear buds as your primary listening medium then anything you rip will be fine as you can't hear a lot of the details anyway. Otherwise, lossless is the way to go. Not sur ewhy you'd want to try and watch a movie on a screen the size of an iPod either.

If you're using ear buds as your primary listening medium then anything you rip will be fine as you can't hear a lot of the details anyway. Otherwise, lossless is the way to go. Not sur ewhy you'd want to try and watch a movie on a screen the size of an iPod either.

Much larger than an iPod.

4.3 inch widescreen