[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

other than flyers, biggest NHL disappointment?

redwings.cup

Guest Azazello13

i think the disappointments are the teams that didn't make the playoffs...especially, the stars and caps. rangers i think were in too much of a state of flux for much to be expected of them this year. but the stars and caps just collapsed, and i think both may need pretty serious overhauls.

i don't know that i would consider the devils a huge disappointment. carolina was HUNGRY, and they just got 4 great goaltending performances out of irbe and weekes. new jersey really controlled the play in most of the games i saw. it's just one of those things...it's not hard to lose in the NHL playoffs even if you're a very good team. same thing with boston, although with them i think you can point at their blueline and at dafoe as having not performed quite up to par. but again i think it's more a case of giving montreal credit for gutting it out and coming to play than it is saying boston sucks or anything like that. of course, boston still has time to turn that one around...

the flyers on the other hand...WHOO BOY did they stink it up! i thought their forwards were supposed to be the one thing they didn't have to worry about, but boy was that ever wrong.

ottawa could be the team to beat in the east. to me, they look like new jersey in 95. GREAT team defense, solid goaltending, and some of the most fantastic, underrated forwards in the league.

Well, the Devils's firing Larry Robinson had nothing to do with it, besides, he was still behind the bench after they hired him back as an assistant a few days after firing him.

Also, the Habs-B's series is a classic, old match up. Although it's the 1-8 seeding, I don't think it would be that tremendous of an upset.

Now the Flyers, here I agree with you. All year you heard about how the Flyers would not win the cup because of their goaltending. Sorry, but scoring 2 goals in a 5 game series makes it kind of hard to win, don'tcha think?

Of the non playoff teams, it has to be the Rangers (yeah, as per Az they were in disarray, but when you pay those type of guys that kind of money, it's no excuse) with their #1 salary, and the Caps with their landing of Jagr, both playing golf already.

good analysis. i agree Ottawa is now the team to beat coming from the east. My question concerned the playoff disappoints, but you're correct. The Caps were a huge disappointment during the season. Kolzig took awhile to get going, and Wilson's system and Jagr's style of play were from different eons. Dallas, however, gets the award for disfunctional team of 2001-02. I knew once they dumped Hull (thank you, by the way) and added Turgeon, audette, and some others that things were heading in the wrong direction. Firing Hitchcock was the straw that broke the camel's back. they'll be rebuilding for a few years now. I think Dallas' run is over.

Guest Azazello13

yeah the devils actually played a little better after they canned robinson, so i don't think they regret that so much. they looked like they were rolling pretty well going into the playoffs. dallas, on the other hand, went even deeper into the sh*tter after dumping hitchcock...so if anyone regrets a coaching change it would probably be them.

I don't have any statistics, but my guess is that there is more upsets in the NHL playoffs than MLB and NBA 7 game series. Having a hot goalie that you can play every night and also the fact falling behind by 1 goal anymore changes the whole dynamic of the game. The goalie factor is almost equivalent to the Diamondbacks being able to pitch Randy Johnson every night of a playoff series. It's actually a surpise when the #1 seed holds up.

Guest Azazello13
Originally posted by Chavez:

Any #1 seed going down to an 8 (read: Boston) is a pretty f'n big disappointment IMO. mad.gif

well that's one way to look at that series. another way of looking at it is: the habs took their old whuppin' boy to the woodshed once again (22-8 all time in the playoffs now?). in that sense it's no surprise.

Originally posted by Azazello13:

22-8 all time in the playoffs now

What's REALLY sad is Boston had won like 4 of the last 5 series - it used to be REAL embarrassing, as opposed to merely horribly lopsided.