[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys Team and Pre Draft Breakdown

Cowboyz1

Well well well, here we are on the eve of the draft. Time to dust off the Plasma and get some cold ones ready. It's about this time of year that my NFL switch gets turned back on. So let's jump in.

Let me start by giving my analysis or state of the Cowboys Pre Draft.

The Cowboys are for all intents and purposes Super Bowl Ready. As evidenced by last years play. However, there are question marks that arose from last years early exit. For starters, can key players stay healty? We took the Champs down to the last play last year and beat them twice in the reg season, so that counts for something in my mind. However, almost is like not having a condom when the panties are off. That being said, why did we not win it all last year? I think it was a number a reasons. But one stood out more then the rest. Late season play drop off when TO went down causing moving parts come playoff time. Well to be fair the Gmen were on fire Defensively, gotta give them credit. Well last year is in the rear view so lets leave it there and move on.

Big question I have coming into the draft is what are the needs and does Jerry draft for need or best available? Moreover, if you draft best available what happens to the guys we never see much of. I would like to avoid another Jimmy Smith reply and dismiss a guy because he never got on the field enough to show something. So I am going to take a look at possible draft choices and evaluate also the impact on the current young guys on the roster that my have their growth "stunted" if you will as a result of the picks. I am all for depth but I also want to see what these other guys can do.

But the Biggest Question of all is this. WHO will be drafting this year now that Ireland and Parcells are gone? You guest it. Jerry Jones. Now that makes me just a little bit nervous. However, since we don't need much I will lean to the blind squrrel and the nut theory.

QB

Romo

Johnson

I could see picking up a QB late in the draft for poopys and grins but Romo is the man if he gets hurt we are screwed although Johnson may be able to drive the bus for a few games but that's it. Even if we draft a guy he won't be ready to do anything this year so no since in fretting over it now. Romo or bust.

RB

Barber

Coleman

That's it. Obvious need here that will be address in the draft. I have said already I don't like Mccfadden. I would be happy with Mendenhall, Jones, Stewart or Rice. I think Jerry grabs the other Ark Razor back Jones or moves up to grab Mendenhall. Either way problem solved. Running game CHECK.

O line

Colombo

Davis

Gurode

Kosier

Adams

O line is solid as they come with the weakest link being Kosier. Behind them are unproven rooks but Free.McQuistan, and Martin look the part and I believe can fill in a pinch. Huge drop off behind Gurode though. I could see getting a Center to back up Gurode or a swing guard. This is a road grating line that pass pretects well and Romo helps them a lot by getting the ball out. No holes here that concern me too greatly.

WR

TO

Glenn

Crayton

Austin

Hurd

Stanback

Jefferson

Can't assume that TO and Glenn will stay healthy all year so who is behind them. Crayton Hurd Austin and Stanback. None of which have much game experience save Hurd maybe. I like Austin but he can't get on the field and Stanback looks the part but also can't get on the field. So say we draft another couple of WR in the draft say a Nelson or Hardy or Sweed or any of the solid WR's out there. What happens to these guys we already have whom we still know very little about. Seems to me we just add more questions then answers here drafting more projects. This pick here needs to be a bullseye in my opinnon. I like the Nelson kid from kansas and Hardy because of his matchup measureables. I'm know draft expert but I hope they get this one right because whom ever they pick has to be better then any of the young guys we have now or we take the chance of stunting the growth of one of the young guys we already have.

TE

Witten

Fasano

Hannah

Curtis

Just fine here. We have argueably the best TE in the business backed up by two solid guys. I don't see any additions here.

Kicker

Folk.............Nuff said.

Defensively we can become the best D in the league this year. There is talent everywhere and now with the Pacman signed as a bonus this D could be very scary this year.

D line

Spears

Ratliff

Canty

Tank

Bowen

Hatcher

Smith

Savii

Ayodele

Lots of talent here with solid depth and youth. I love what Ratliff did last year. I also loved to see Hatcher grow the way he did. This D line is very stout and deep. I could see adding another player here but not too worried here either.

LB

Ware

Ellis

Thomas

James

Burnett

Spencer

Carpenter

Ayodele

Dude, that is 4 pro bowl linebackers. Possibly 5 with Spencer if he ever gets to play. Are you kidding me. That is one heck of a line backing core. I wonder why the sourness on Carpenter. He played well I thought in the Playoff game the year before last but with all these pro bowlers he has to be discouraged because he can't possibly think he is going to play. Who do you sit? I love this LB core. They could just set up a rotation that can account for anything offenses can throw at them. Speed set with Burrnett, power with James and Thomas, all out blitz packages with Spencer, Ellis, Ware and James. No worries here mate.

Secondary, now here is where it gets dicey. If I had my way I would draft a RB or two and Wide reciever and the rest of my draft would be Corners to make darn sure I have back ups for every spot. No bullpoopy, I don't want to see another year of shaky coverage. There is no excuse for it.

Corners

Newman

Henry

Jones

Ball

and a bunch of guys I never heard of.

Glaring HOLE. Henry is solid but hasn't made it through a season yet. Newman is a stud but got nicked up also. Jones, oh boy. Let's get this out of the way. Pacman has a great deal of talent and is an awesome playmaker BUT, he is an idiot. That being said, if this idiot snaps out of his dream gangsta world and straightens out then what a steal. However, the guy is an idiot and likes to hang out with idiots. We'll see but I don't like the message that is being sent here even though he could help us greatly. We need backups. Two solid corners that can be ready to start by mid season. A tall order but at least one for sure. I here this Ball kid has some skills but I would love to see a guy like Cason, KIng or that Williams kid out of kent state. But what do I know, I leave the picking up to the Xperts. :wacko:

Safety

Hamlin

Williams

Watkins

Brown

GLARING HOLE. I don't know what happend to Roy but I could stand him getting beat every once in a while because he layed the wood game in and game out. Now he's not even doing that anymore. I have to think he was injured last year and just played through it because he missed tackles, got stoned on blitzes and let guys get behind him like a punk in prison. What gives. 0 tackles behind the LOS. 0 Sacks. Maybe the years of hitting has taken it's toll but in any case. I would love to grab Kenny Phillips. I love Roy but somethings got to give. Watkins is a player and so is Hamilin. Brown I don't know yet. But I have no problem sitting Roy in place of Watkins and Hamlin or Hamilin and Phillips.

Basically, I don't see any reason we can't be the most dominant team on Offense and Defense this year with even so much as a Moderately successful draft. Can't miss on CB though.

Now if Jerry screws this draft up then he needs to swear it off. I mean it. He needs to just put it down for good and sub contract Jimmy Johnson to

Draft for him. No excuses this year. This should be the and rebirth of the Dallas Cowboy's Dynasty that should have started last year. This draft will determine the next 4 years.

Can't wait. Good luck all.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Update

Ayodele and Fasano gone to Miami.

Bill seems to be picking us clean of solid guys. I don't like letting Keith Davis or Fasano go as we lose precious depth at TE and lost our leader of the Special Teams unit. We saw what happened when Davis was not out their and I want to know who is going to take over the leadership of that unit. Be careful Jerry, chemistry is a very important element in this game. New is not always good.