[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

converting 8mm to disk

whoopazz

We got talking about witnessing our kids' first steps in the daycare thread and how some of us have it on video. Is there an easy way to convert those tapes (8mm in my case) to electronic files? I would hate to lose any of that stuff in a fire or such, and would love to have secure backup. Any ideas?

Because those cameras don't have any kind of digital output, you'd need to use an analog to digital capture device.

The make USB video devices now that cost $50 or so and come with software. Off the top of my head... they are made by Dazzle, ATI, Hauppauge... possibly Pinnacle or Belkin.

I like the Hauppauge one. We use it where I work to turn laptops into portable video monitors so we can focus cameras.

Then you can use the software that comes with the device to digitize it, or just use Windows Movie Maker.

Because those cameras don't have any kind of digital output, you'd need to use an analog to digital capture device.

The make USB video devices now that cost $50 or so and come with software. Off the top of my head... they are made by Dazzle, ATI, Hauppauge... possibly Pinnacle or Belkin.

I like the Hauppauge one. We use it where I work to turn laptops into portable video monitors so we can focus cameras.

Then you can use the software that comes with the device to digitize it, or just use Windows Movie Maker.

Thanks. Here's a good tutorial I found while browsing Hauppauge stuff: video capture