[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling jaxfactor

MojoMan

Jax,

Will a letter get to its destination (say across the country) if I take it to a post office early in the morning versus putting it in a mailbox on the street that will be picked up at say 3-5 PM? That is, is mail that is dropped in the actual building sorted and sent on its way any sooner in the day or is all of it pooled and the sorting and moving occur at night?

If the answer to the first question is "yes," does it make a difference if I drop it in the box outside the PO or if I go inside?

I'm frequently kinda late mailing things and I've often wondered if going into the building makes any difference or should I just dump it in the box outside.

Yes, I am aware that email, FedEx, UPS, online billpay, and other services exist but sometimes you have to "care enough to send the very best" (e.g. old school).

Thanks Jax.

Jax,

Will a letter get to its destination (say across the country) if I take it to a post office early in the morning versus putting it in a mailbox on the street that will be picked up at say 3-5 PM? That is, is mail that is dropped in the actual building sorted and sent on its way any sooner in the day or is all of it pooled and the sorting and moving occur at night?

If the answer to the first question is "yes," does it make a difference if I drop it in the box outside the PO or if I go inside?

I'm frequently kinda late mailing things and I've often wondered if going into the building makes any difference or should I just dump it in the box outside.

Yes, I am aware that email, FedEx, UPS, online billpay, and other services exist but sometimes you have to "care enough to send the very best" (e.g. old school).

Thanks Jax.

For what it is worth, my dad, who is a postmaster, told me no. You can drop it in any box anywhere and it will get postmarked that day. Mail dropped in the office goes out after hours on the truck.

For what it is worth, my dad, who is a postmaster, told me no. You can drop it in any box anywhere and it will get postmarked that day. Mail dropped in the office goes out after hours on the truck.

Shiz, are you saying that if I take the trouble to put it in the slot in the office it will get there later?

No dis intended, but.....l

My wife just asked this question at our PO, and he said the mail dropped in the PO goes out at the same time as the box outside. ~2pm in our area. W/ the rural type mailboxes we have, there is no drop box anywhere closer than the one at the PO, so if we put outgoing mail in our mailbox (flag up) it leaves the PO at the same time as the rest ~2pm.