[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL.com to stream 17 games this year

tazinib1

Wish I had the link but it was in yesterdays Union-Tribune. Can't find it online. But NFL.com and another site (can't remember as I was purrty drunk at the sports bar) will be streaming 17 games LIVE this year.

WOW, something in this world is for free from the NFL.

So it's 1 game a week. 17 a year.

They did this last year.

by Steve O'Hear, editor

August 28th, 2007

NFL to stream games online — DirectTV customers onlyWant to watch NFL games (that’s American Football to most folks) over the web? Well, now you can, sort of (Ars Technica).

First, you’ll have to be based in the U.S. Second, you’ll need to be a current subscriber to DirectTV’s $269 satellite package. Lastly, you’ll need to pony up an additional $99 per year. Once you’ve met all of these criteria, you can then watch NFL games streamed to a Windows PC (Internet Explorer only).

Taz didn't say it would be free.

Not the point. Anything that reduces ST subscriptions would surely not be looked upon favorably. With there being four games on the networks every weekend, the plethora of Thursdays and Saturdays at the beginning, Thanksgiving and end of season, it must be getting pretty marginal as to whether ST is worth it to an increasing number of people, as shown in the main ST thread. This NFL streaming initiative just further dilutes the DTV ST attraction, IMO.

Edit: OK, so the fact that it's only available to DTV ST subscribers pretty much negates everything that I just posted.

Nothing to see here, carry on.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Considering that this is being streamed from a network feed (NBC), I'm wondering what the cost will be?

If 1 game is free Sunday Ticket subscribers may see this as the begining of something they won't like.

They should do this with NFL Network games if they aren't picked up by ESPN.

The league and NBC say it is an experiment. They hope to prove they can lure new viewers and people who are already watching at home by adding interactive elements. Viewers will be able to choose from among at least four live camera angles and review statistics that update during the game, according to the league. The league and the network will share in ad sales.

I wonder where they are trying to get to. How many poeple would watch a game they could get on TV. Stats could be useful, but Sunday Ticket viewers will probably be mad that this is leading to other games.

They could update stats without this at NFL.com.

You'd think the WSJ site would be sure, but not quite 100% convinced this is free, ie:

But it is a tentative step, covering only games that air on NBC
...sounds like you might need cable (subscr) to get it. But even if not, the idea of watching a game on a 17 or even 19" screen vs a 27-30" + TV (at least, many have bigger TVs nowdays) just to have a few interactive stat or angle doo-dads.........to each their own I guess but don't get the appeal.

Bandwidth.

I'm gonna bet that nobody will be able to watch the streamed games live because NBC/NFL will underestimate how many people will be trying to log on to their site at the same time, with the result that ALL users will be watching an error message for 3 hours.