[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tropic Thunder

godtomsatan

Solid, not spectacular. Just about any/everything Downey Jr does in this movie is absolute brilliance. Nolte is awesome as the grizzled Vietnam vet ("I don't know what sort of gun it is, I just know the sound it makes when it kills a man") and Cruise just rocks.

Stiller is just sort of there, for the most part, but one review I read said that while he's playing it with at least a semblance of sanity, while Black, Downey, and Cruise are just going ape with the scenery-chewing.

Probably not the worst idea.

You can't beat his first line - "who's the key grip? Walk over there and punch that f*cking director in the face!"

did you mean Stiller instead of Cruise?

nonetheless....this movie was a comedy classic...

• 5 months later...
Robert Downey Jr might get an Oscar for his role.

And sure enough, he was nominated. Amazing.

So, we rented it and watched it. Pretty much everything people said in this thread is right on.

That being said, there's a line in the film where RDJ says "I don't drop character until after the DVD commentary". Well, sure enough after watching the film we went to the Special Features menu and there was a cast commentary with Stiller, Jack Black and RJD. . . .and Downey does the whole thing in character and it was about 10 times funnier than the actual film. I'm talking :wacko: