[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coyotes sign Amonte for four years

redwings.cup

redwings.cup:

good thing he didn't go Rangers.

Why's that? Personally, the more big-name, high-dollar free agents that go to the mediocre Rangers, the happier I am--because it proves more and more that hockey is not baseball, and the Red Wings are no Yankees.

Peace

policy

policyvote:

redwings.cup:

Why's that? Personally, the more big-name, high-dollar free agents that go to the mediocre Rangers, the happier I am--because it proves more and more that hockey is not baseball, and the Red Wings are no Yankees.

Peace

policy

first of all, it's because i've always liked the iron man Amonte. His style of game fits the Western flow better and it's good for hockey to see a name brand player end up in Arizona. I agree with your point on it shows the hockey is not baseball, and attendant bright light it shows on the Wings. I'm happy he didn't go to the Rangers for the same reasons you are. it would have been bad for the appearance of competitive balance...

Guest Azazello13
policyvote:

redwings.cup:

Peace

policy

mets, dodgers, red sox, orioles, (texas) rangers...do these all prove more and more that baseball is not hockey, and the yankees are no red wings? you keep trying to somehow morally distinguish the way the wings have recently resorted to building a team by buying players from the way other teams have done it...and it just ain't happenin'. two years ago the wings were like the devils, the sharks, the avs, the oilers, in that they built a powerhouse team through drafting and trades and just shrewd management. two years of getting trounced in the first or second round made them change their tune. so now they've resorted to buying old rich players as short-term rentals, and buying more old rich players to replace the old rich players when they're gone. now they're not any different than the stars or rangers, and the only thing that separates them from the yankees is the yankees' long-term success.

Guest Azazello13

btw, i really like the fact that phoenix was able to dip into the free agent pool a little bit, and the fact that amonte took a little less money, at least in the early stages of the contract, to go into a hockey situation he was excited about. i still think the dogs will have a tough time making the playoffs (just because the west is SO deep with quality teams), but they're going in the right direction.

Except that the Wings won the Cup this year on the backs of Lidstrom, Fedorov, and the Grind Line--all of whom are "homegrown". The Yankees don't just sign free agents, they cannibalize teams.

They look for cash poor or underperforming teams, then they take their best player away. It happens ALL THE TIME. Every year, the Yankees sign a couple big free agents, steal a few quality small market players for practically nothing, and ditch the ones they had two years ago. The Wings do nothing like that; the acquisitions they make become Wings for life. Yeah, they got Shanny, Chelly, Hasek, Hully, and Robitaille, but those guys all want to finish their careers as Wings. Hell, Hasek even said in his farewell speech that he will be a Red Wing forever--pretty strong words for a guy who spent his entire previous starting career in Buffalo. You don't catch Ray Borque saying he'll always be an Avalanche (or whatever the hell you call a member of that team). The Wings are not hiring rent-a-mercs here (*cough*Kasparitis*cough*), but solid acquisitions to fill needs--so what if their owner outbids other teams for the players he needs to win? The Wings haven't signed anybody this year that wasn't either replacing a departing player, or already on the team, despite the treasure trove of free agents this year. If the Wings "always" buy expensive old guys, then where did Amonte go? if the Wings buy their cups, where did Guerin, Holik, Kasparitis, or Berezin go?

My point is that the teams who are REALLY hoarding free agents (Rangers, Stars) didn't even make the palyoffs last year. The issue is not how much money you spend, but where and when you spend it.

Peace

policy