[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some TV help.

rhippens

Last night, our Toshiba 60" Projection HD TV took a dump. It's still ON and still has a picture, but on the left side of the screen, the colors are distorted. Basically, it looks like the green and the red are seperated, causing a wave of bad colors and clarity up the left side. It's about 5 years old, had survived bouncing across the US in a moving truck, and overall, has been pretty good. Currently, I'm not an HD user, but this TV has the hook-ups for it. My knowledge of TV's is limited, but does this thing sound pretty fried? I remember back in the day, the killer was having a "tube" blow out and it being nearly half the cost of the TV itself. I'm asking myself the following questions this morning.

1. Is it worth having someone look at it? What do techs charge you for a visit just to tell you what's wrong?

2. How much has the technology advanced to the point that this TV sucks anyway? At some point, I'll go HD for good.

3. How much am I looking at for a new TV? It does not have to be 60" as this one was just a great deal and is actually quite excessive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would say that scrapping it sounds like the plan. Pretty much everything today is disposable, too expensive to fix after a point. I had an oven go out last winter and I called an appliance repair man and it was $75 to diagnose an unknown problem, which may have been easy to fix, or cost a few hundred. I bought a new stove.

I have been looking at flat panels as of late and you can get a 50" LCD 60 hz for about $1500. THe 120 hz is about $2700 for Sony. Any 720 p flat panel is very affordable and if you are not a nerd or demand the best there are some really great deals out there.

I have no idea if your tv is fried. it may be worth having someone take a look at if they can do it for cheap. i wouldn't put too much money into it though because the quality of tv's being made today is significantly better. I just bought a new tv and did a fair amount of research into it. I went with a 42 inch LCD from LG which i got at a very good price (less than 900 at circuity city). I think Samsung makes the best tv's but they're a bit more expensive. And you definitely want HD - there's really no comparison especially when watching sports. Trust me when i say this, as i just made the switch.