[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health Insurance Recommendations

Footballjoe

My son will be turning 19 in December. Beginning 01/01/09 he will no longer qualify to be covered on my health insurance since he will not be going to school full time. So then, I am beginning to look around for some health insuance for him.

Currently I have a Family Plan from my work. It covers myself, my wife, my daughter and son. Since my daughter is in college I purchased insurance through the college and my work insurance acts as the secondary. What I may do is opt just to take the Employee / Spouse Plan from work. My premiums would go from $191 (bi weekly) to $118. I could use the $73 (or $146 mo) difference to help with getting my son some insurance and maybe pick up a policy to sublement my daughter's policy. I will need to look into whether or not it would be worth the extra for my daughter. She does have health issues so I think it will pay off. If my son did decide to go to school full time (college or trade) he could be added back to my policy at work.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a company with a decent policy at a halfway reasonable price? Also I want to add that yesterday I spoke with someone from Aflec. He wants see if the Contractor my son works for has insurance and see if he can get it through him. The contractor basically is just himself with a couple of part time guys. His wife does the bookkeeping. The Aflec agent syas they offer BIG dicounts with a group of 3 or more.

Appreciate any help. :wacko:

Around 10/2002, my daughter left her job at Target Corp. in Minny and came home to pursue he MA and teaching creds. She stayed w/ us for about 6 months and my wife's policy covered her til 8/2003. I then called my agent at State Farm and he got her a year to year policy for ~$80/ month. Can't remember her deducts/oop expenses, but it worked for her. Her being a student had nothing to do w/ the pricing. I don't think it covered a lot of the office visits, etc., but it was better than catastrophic coverage.

Edited by rocknrobn26