[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some encouraging news

detlef

There's a lot of huddlers looking for prayers and I suppose this is yet another version of the same. However, this story is at a point where hope seems to be there.

Some of my wife's dearest friends have just experienced a tragedy that I wouldn't wish on anybody but, as you'll see, they may be pulling out of it.

This past weekend, their 9 year old boy had his birthday party at a popular beach in Santa Cruz, CA. Three of the boys, including their son, were exploring a small cave in the side of the hill when it collapsed on them. One was not covered and was able to run for help, the other two were not so lucky. In fact, despite frantic efforts to dig the boys out, one of them died. The other, our friend's son, was rushed to the hospital where he's been fighting for his life. Apparently, his lungs were completely full of sand.

Yesterday we got news that he regained consciousness for the first time. His mother was by his bed and asked him if he was OK. Unable to talk due to the machinery. He was able to shake his head "no". This was hugely encouraging because, well, "no" is certainly the correct answer and it meant that he both understood the question and was able to answer. Both signs that he had brain function which was something that nobody was taking for granted.

He then looked around the room, noticed his father wasn't there and signed D-A-D, again meaning he's alert. At this point he lost consciousness but apparently his vital signs are good and they at least are pretty sure that even if there is any brain damage, it isn't so extensive that he can't move his head, hands, or even reason. Needless to say, however, there's still a long fight ahead of them.

Obviously there've been many of us keeping this little guy in our thoughts and maybe that's helped. I do know that, somehow, it is oddly soothing to recount the story to others. Not exactly sure why. Maybe it just helps work out the sadness and fear.

None the less, thank you for allowing me this moment to get this off my chest and please remember to consciously love those dear to you.