[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting rid of Spyware

Flip_Side

Okay the last couple of weeks my computer has been doing weird things and not running as well as usual. I suspected I had a virus or something so I ran Mcafee and sure enough I have a trojan. McAfee couldn't remove it however so i've been downloading other free programs. I've been running "kaspersky", adaware, and a program called trojan hunter. Within the last few days I started getting the pop-ups, they come every minute it seems and are very annoying. I'm still running all the programs and now McAfee isn't finding anything but ad-aware and kaspersky are finding a trojan called "vundo". I looked it up and downloaded the trojan vundo fix program and then it doesn't even find that there is a trojan on my computer. Another program called no-adware is finding the trojans in my registry now. Nothing is working does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get rid of this crap?

I have gotten hit twice with Spyware in the last year. The first time, I had someone take care of it and paid them and they had the PC for about 4 days (A old friend in the PC business). The second, I took action on my own and itr worked out very well (no more popups, etc) I wound up following a majorgeeks.com set of instruction (link below)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

It took a wholeafternoon, but it really did the trick.

Good luck! :wacko:

I have gotten hit twice with Spyware in the last year. The first time, I had someone take care of it and paid them and they had the PC for about 4 days (A old friend in the PC business). The second, I took action on my own and itr worked out very well (no more popups, etc) I wound up following a majorgeeks.com set of instruction (link below)

Thanks. Doing all the processes now, hopefully this can take care of it. I'm not too good with computers so some of the steps are gibberish but i'll try to get through it lol.

Can I make a suggestion? Get rid of McAfee now. It is perhaps the WORST software of its kind on the market. I strongly recommend you switch to Norton Anit-Virus software and take the enormous amount of time it allots to manually delete McAfee via your registry editor as simply removing it will never rid you of all of its evilness.

Can I make a suggestion? Get rid of McAfee now. It is perhaps the WORST software of its kind on the market. I strongly recommend you switch to Norton Anit-Virus software and take the enormous amount of time it allots to manually delete McAfee via your registry editor as simply removing it will never rid you of all of its evilness.

Will this be beneficial to getting rid of spyware? Because if not i'm just gonna leave that alone, like I said I'm not very computer literate and this would just place an even bigger burden on my back researching all the information for getting rid of McAfee.

D/L, install, & run in "safe mode" this >> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

H8 sugg'd it several weeks ago, I ran it and it found & destroyed 9 pieces of Spyware/Malware that my virus prog did not.

Also D/L, install, & run this>> http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...&Itemid=223

Another H8 sugg. that does a nice job for general cleaning.

Word to the wise...if you have multiple AV progs installed and running at the same time, that in itself can be problematic. Un-install the extra stuff you are running, but you can keep Mcafee, unless you decide to buy Norton or some other AV.

There is an uninstaller that removes mccaffe, I can provide a link tomorrow.

You need to download and update malwarebytes, also download and update http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Once both are updated, reboot in safe mode, and run smit first, options #2 and #3, then run a complete scan with malwarebytes.

You should be able to do this in about an hour.

You need to get either Panda Internet Security 2009, or Webroots spysweeper. I prefer Panda. www.pandasoftware.com I can send you a licensed OEM copy for $15.

I did all the steps on that link you posted and so far so good. Haven't seen a popup and my system seems to be running better.

You da man!

Thanks all for the help

AVG Free has worked for me on all my computers for a long time now.

+1

Forgot all about that and I have it installed lol. Automatic updates can be counted on almost daily.

This is what I recommend for ALL PC users.

Forget McAfee and Norton.

AVG is completely free and automatically updated daily. Best Anti-Virus/Spyware software there is.

Download it here.

(When you're installing it, I would recommend disabling daily virus scan... as that can slow your system down a lot when you're trying to use it)

Also download Malwarebytes it's free and will correct issues with your registry.

I did all the steps on that link you posted and so far so good. Haven't seen a popup and my system seems to be running better.

You da man!

Thanks all for the help

No problem. Ever since I stumbled on that site, it works wonders. Time consuming? Yes, but worth it and I think its written to help the basic users like myself. And it includes a lot of trusted software and free!!!

Im glad I could help. :wacko:

Also download Malwarebytes it's free and will correct issues with your registry.

Yes, the link that Joess posted had that in there. I had to run Superantispyware, Ccleaner, Spybotdestroyer, Malwarebytes, and Combofix.