[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Internet Connection Help Needed

keggerz

first off using dial up to get here SUCKS....

ol here is the problem....this PC shows it is connected on its LAN at 100 Mbps but wont connect to anything...thelights on the modem are all green and I even did a reset...the only way I could get IE to open was to use dial up...i would call IT but mycontact list is on our Intranet and that page still hasnt loaded yet with dial up....

so how can the LAN show its connected but I cant get IE to open any page at all unless I use dial up?

tia

first off using dial up to get here SUCKS....

ol here is the problem....this PC shows it is connected on its LAN at 100 Mbps but wont connect to anything...thelights on the modem are all green and I even did a reset...the only way I could get IE to open was to use dial up...i would call IT but mycontact list is on our Intranet and that page still hasnt loaded yet with dial up....

so how can the LAN show its connected but I cant get IE to open any page at all unless I use dial up?

tia

Your internet connection could be interrupted by your carrier. I would call them and see if they can see your modem. If they CAN see your modem then you know its your computer acting up. I would start there.

1. If the internet connection is down then how would the PC be showing that the LAN is connected?

2. How do I check the IP ?

3. How would I know if its DHCP?

1 - Your computer can still be connected to the router/hub of the actual modem but not have internet access thus showing that LAN is connected.

2 - Go to start -> run

type ipconfig

hit enter

you should see your ip address

3 - Do you know how to connect to your router/hub? You can see if DHCP is being used there.

Assuming Windows XP to check the IP:

Several ways to get to the list of network connections:

1) Click the Start button. Right click on My Network Places. Select Properties

2) Start Button > Connect To > Show All Connections

2) Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.

Once you have the list of connections up, right click on the one for your LAN connection. Select Status. Select the Support Tab.

This will show you the IP address and if it was assigned via DHCP it will show that as well.

1 - Your computer can still be connected to the router/hub of the actual modem but not have internet access thus showing that LAN is connected.

2 - Go to start -> run

type ipconfig

hit enter

you should see your ip address

3 - Do you know how to connect to your router/hub? You can see if DHCP is being used there.

no administrator privledges so I cant do much :wacko:

when I type ipconfig the dos box pops up and they it disappears immediately

Using the command prompt again, what happens if you try to ping google.com?

You should get something like this if it is working properly

C:\>ping google.comPinging google.com [72.14.205.100] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243Ping statistics for 72.14.205.100:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 29ms

If it can't resolve the name, then you may have a DNS problem.

Try pinging the IP address directly instead:

C:>ping 72.14.205.100Pinging 72.14.205.100 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=243Reply from 72.14.205.100: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=243Ping statistics for 72.14.205.100:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 32ms

update: contacted Verizon and the account has been DEACTIVATED

oh and this is a COUNTY account :eek:

edit: we use a different provider and thats why the verizon one was deactivated....there was an outage and now its fixed..

thanks for the help guys

Edited by keggerz