[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Desperately need some computer advice

theprofessor

My computer has been running terribly lately as it has been freezing up, running pop-ups, also when I type many of the letter don't appear?, etc. - I am going to take it in to a computer Tech on Monday to go through it and clean the entire system. I am trying to copy all my important documents and family pictures to CD's this weekend before I take it in but I have been unable to copy any of my pictures? I get a Window's error message of "Windows encountered problems when trying to copy the file. What do you want Windows to do?" It gives me 3 options .... Retry, Skip or Cancel. No matter what I try I can't copy the files? Any suggestions or advice on how I can do this? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Sounds like your hard drive may have problems. Try turning it off for a few hours, then power it back on and immediately try to copy those files while the drive is still cold.

So if your file system is hosed, there are tools that can fix it.

If your hardware is hosed, you can try some tricks to work around it like running it cold or on it's side.

Keep it turned off as much as possible until you recover your files. You don't want it getting worse if that's the problem.

Sounds like your hard drive may have problems. Try turning it off for a few hours, then power it back on and immediately try to copy those files while the drive is still cold.

So if your file system is hosed, there are tools that can fix it.

If your hardware is hosed, you can try some tricks to work around it like running it cold or on it's side.

Keep it turned off as much as possible until you recover your files. You don't want it getting worse if that's the problem.

Also try going into "Safe Mode" (Tapping F8 on boot up) and try.

For your pics, maybe use an online site like flickr or photobucket and use that as storage? I've started using googledocs as a 3rd backup for documents that don't contain personal info, bank #'s, etc.