[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Get your free Gland Slam

tazinib1

That is exactly what I am saying Chester. :wacko:

I sort of live by that for the most part. I am a pretty decent tipper or so all the waiters that always want us to sit with them make me think. Work is work. I will admit that I short the cheap lunch staff based on my tipping process but even though I short them based on my opinions, I tip better than everyone that ever joins me for lunch. If my lunch is say 9.60 then I normally round my bill to an even $15.

Now if I eat out at a restaurant with my wife and child and the bill is $70.00 with good service then my tip will be $10 - $12. However, I will tip that same $10 - $12 where our bill is $38.00. That waiter works no harder on the $70 bill then he does on the $38 bill when it comes to us. Great, over the top service with some free drinks, (many waiters do this when they know you), will equal $15.00 tip from me.

I know that is not the greatest tipping but I think it is reasonable and I know it is better than a lot of people.

I sorta try to look at it the same way. like if we order at the relatively high end of the menu, tip a lower percentage....and if we order at the cheaper end of the menu and drink water, tip a higher percentage. I think it could be helpful to break it down by the type of dining experience. say, a quick lunch for two at a very casual place, 5 bucks. an average dinner for two where where maybe you get an app and/or a dessert and entrees are in that $10-15 range, 10 bucks. and so on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what I am saying Chester. :wacko:

I sort of live by that for the most part. I am a pretty decent tipper or so all the waiters that always want us to sit with them make me think. Work is work. I will admit that I short the cheap lunch staff based on my tipping process but even though I short them based on my opinions, I tip better than everyone that ever joins me for lunch. If my lunch is say 9.60 then I normally round my bill to an even $15.

Now if I eat out at a restaurant with my wife and child and the bill is $70.00 with good service then my tip will be $10 - $12. However, I will tip that same $10 - $12 where our bill is $38.00. That waiter works no harder on the $70 bill then he does on the $38 bill when it comes to us. Great, over the top service with some free drinks, (many waiters do this when they know you), will equal $15.00 tip from me.

I know that is not the greatest tipping but I think it is reasonable and I know it is better than a lot of people.

I always tip on the quality of service. We went out to a very nice Italian rest for my b-day 2 weeks ago and there was 6 of us all having plenty of drinks/wine and dinner. The other 2 couples picked up the tab for dinner and I left the tip. The waitress we had was totally awesome and her mother was bringing our drinks. The bill came to $480 and I gave her $150 as a tip, the waitress came back after the tip and asked me how much I thought I gave her for the tip. I told her $150 and she asked if I needed/wanted change, my 1 buddy ownes a restaurant and told her that is the proper thing to do instead of just disappearing thinking we were just drunk and stupid. He pulled out another $50 and gave it to her mother. Needless to say we got another 2 rounds of drinks and desert on the house and they will have our future business.

The bill came to $480 and I gave her $150 as a tip, the waitress came back after the tip and asked me how much I thought I gave her for the tip. I told her $150 and she asked if I needed/wanted change, my 1 buddy ownes a restaurant and told her that is the proper thing to do instead of just disappearing thinking we were just drunk and stupid. He pulled out another $50 and gave it to her mother.

Note to self: If you are ever again waiting tables and you think someone has overtipped you because they are drunk and stupid, definitely go back to confirm your suspicions. :wacko:

I hope $8 tip and not just $8 total. A $2 tip is awful.

Yeah that didn't come across very well did it. The $8 tip was left on the table cause thats how I have always done it. At this particular Denny's, you are encouraged to tip while at the cash register. Not sure if its because of tip thieves or the busboy's but that just doesn't feel right to me. I just make sure I give the waitress eye contact as I'm leaving so she knows theres some cash left for her. Yes..it was an $8 tip.