[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle TV experts

bigmike4969

So my girlfriend has a co-worker whose son is looking to sell his TV (he is going thru a divorce and needs the money).

This is the TV he is selling: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pan...9.html?tag=rnav

He is asking for $1200, and that includes the wall mount and TV stand. He bought it a year or so ago for full price (somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500-4000) and says that it has, at the most, like three hundred hours worth of use on it (since he and his wife have seperated, which has been a couple months, the TV has not been used at all. It is currently at the house that they are trying to sell).

I currently own a rear projection HDTV (Hitachi 51") but it is a few years old, and I am figuring that this is an excellent opportunity to upgrade (I personally think this is a steal for a 58" plasma that is practically new).

The one downside to this TV is that it does not support 1080p (kinda suprising to me), but I don't think that is going to be a deal breaker for me.

I am just looking for some opinions and feedback. Thanks.

that's too old of a TV set to be wasting more than $700 on....

HD sets are much better right now for cheaper...

you can get a Sony LCD 40" HDTV for $1399...brand new...

don't do it...Plasma's are being phased out anyways...

Well, the room that it is going in (my living room) is about 20' x 20'. I think a 40" TV is way too small for a room that size. And for what I would pay for a 50-52" LCD or plasma, I am getting a bigger TV (I know bigger does not always mean better, but this set has gotten great reviews).

I dont understand the "it's too old of a TV set to waste more than 700 on" statement. I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just curious why you say that. To me, a 58" plasma, which is less than a year old (ownership wise) and has low hours on it for 1200 bucks (including the wall mount and the stand) is a great deal.

Edited by bigmike4969

Well, the room that it is going in (my living room) is about 20' x 20'. I think a 40" TV is way too small for a room that size. And for what I would pay for a 50-52" LCD or plasma, I am getting a bigger TV (I know bigger does not always mean better, but this set has gotten great reviews).

I dont understand the "it's too old of a TV set to waste more than 700 on" statement. I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just curious why you say that. To me, a 58" plasma, which is less than a year old (ownership wise) and has low hours on it for 1200 bucks (including the wall mount and the stand) is a great deal.

because of the contrast ratio...there is quite a difference between what that offers and what you can get for your money...

and you can get a 46" LCD for about 1500....

I just don't think a review from a few years ago is justifiable....not to mention the fact that you are purchasing a Plasma from 3 years ago that could only have a handful of years left if you're lucky....

3 years ago, the Plasma's didn't have the lifespan they have had in the past year or so and regardless if it's a Panasonic Plasma which is supposed to be a great set, I wouldn't spend over a grand for it used...

but that's just me....