[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for J.R.R. Tolkien fans

fingfootball

Generally, the hobbit is considered the precurser to the lord of the rings trilogy. It introduces Bilbo and Gandalf, but, on the whole, is only tangentially related to the story line of the lord of the rings. The Silmarillion is altogether different. It is the history of the elves in middle earth. To understand the relationship between the two, it's like the mythology of the Roman gods, vs. the Aeneid. The stories are different, but the Aeneid presupposes a lot of knowledge about the gods. To have read it first might enhance your enjoyment of "Rings" You can read it either before or after the trilogy, depending on how much background you want on the tolkein universe.

The narrative style of the silmarillion is different too. It's an after-the-fact telling, as opposed to the 3rd person narrative of Rings or the Hobbit. Personally, I love the silmarillion. It tells the story of the creation of the middle earth universe (literally) and the original 12 gods. Manwe is akin to Zeus while Melkor is akin to Lucifer (greatest of the lesser gods, who got prideful and attempted to take over, but was thrown down) Then it goes on to tell how the gods created elves, and Melkor used elves to create the abomination of orcs. There are battles between the gods, then battles between the elves and orcs. It only generally introduces Sauron (the main antagonist in Rings) who was, I believe an elf, who chose to follow Melkor, and learned his powers. After Melkor was defeated Sauron carried the mantle of evil.

The Silmarillion is far more broad and sweeping in its scope. It covers Eons of time in the middle earth universe.

Edited by billay

Billay has it exactly right. I would probably read it The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the The Silmarillion. The Silmarillion is much more like reading a history book as opposed to a narrative story. It's a tougher read although it has a wealth of background information that fills in gaps in the other books.

Billay has it exactly right. I would probably read it The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the The Silmarillion. The Silmarillion is much more like reading a history book as opposed to a narrative story. It's a tougher read although it has a wealth of background information that fills in gaps in the other books.

Ya - that's the order I read them in as well.

Read the trilogy at least 4 times start to finish.

One interesting part of the Silmarillion is you learn how Sauron came to be.