[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone hear about this?

Avernus

http://www.theage.com.au/world/tongan-sea-...90319-93c8.html

AN UNDERSEA volcano has erupted off the coast of Tonga, shooting clouds of smoke, steam and ash thousands of metres into the sky above the South Pacific Ocean.

Spectacular columns spewed about 10 kilometres from the south-west coast of the main island of Tongatapu — an area where up to 36 undersea volcanoes are clustered.

Tsunami alert as volcano erupts

An undersea volcano is erupting near Tonga, shooting smoke and ash hundreds of metres into the sky above the south Pacific Ocean.

"It's a very significant eruption, on quite a large scale," said Keleti Mafi, the head of Tonga's geological service.

There was no sign the offshore eruption posed any danger to residents, he said, with trade winds blowing gas and steam away from the island.

Residents said the steam and ash column first appeared on Monday, after a series of sharp earthquakes were felt in the capital, Nuku'alofa.

"This is not unusual for this area and we expect this to happen here at any time," Mr Mafi said, adding that a similar eruption took place there in 2002.

It was likely the underwater eruption was taking place to the west of the low-lying twin volcanic islands of Hunga Tonga and Hunga Ha'apai, within sight of Nuku'alofa.

Tonga is part of the Pacific "ring of fire" of volcanic and earthquake zones.

AP

There is a video of the event captured...It was erupting between last Monday up until Friday that just passed....I saw this on my AOL homepage and an hour later it was removed from the entire AOL search engine and it's not even in the news even though it apparently has caused Tsunami's...I had to Google it....thank god for Google :wacko:

I also read this on AOL and hadn't noticed that it was removed.

I also read this on AOL and hadn't noticed that it was removed.

apparently it's back up now...I searched it since friday afternoon and yesterday and only results from 2006 and whatnot showed...

I was going :wacko: because I tried showing someone the footage and it was nowhere to be found..

Edited by Avernus

I actually did sorta hear about it, through a facebook update from an old high school acquaintance who is a government lawyer in fairly nearby samoa....

2 prisoners escape & then drunk dial the warden for a ride home, then a tsunami warning is issued after the volcano & quake in Tonga...what a wild 24 hours.