[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Obama Kill Charity?

Perchoutofwater

Sure there are. So if there are loopholes, close the loopholes. This isn't closing loopholes, it's screwing the charities.

I owned a piece of land a few years ago. I was presented with one of these loophole scenarios where I could dump the piece of land into a land conservation and get a "highest and best use" tax deduction from the donation. I didn't pay anything for the land (it was an attached lot to a house I owned), and so this would have been sheer profit and a clear tax loophole.

I chose not to do anything shady like that and sold it with the house. I have seen other things done. I don't like those games.

Obama talked about going through things like a surgeon. He's using a hammer on this problem.

I guess I'd have to read O's actual proposal to comment on whether I think it makes sense or not. Frankly, there is a lot of tax-related legislation before the House and Ways and Means Committee right now. But it's getting no attention with Congress going all ape-poopye over these AIG bonuses. Nothing like a little populous outrage to keep government workers from, you know, working.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'd have to read O's actual proposal to comment on whether I think it makes sense or not. Frankly, there is a lot of tax-related legislation before the House and Ways and Means Committee right now. But it's getting no attention with Congress going all ape-poopye over these AIG bonuses. Nothing like a little populous outrage to keep government workers from, you know, working.

Yep it is confusing to be arguing about two issues that seem closely related.