[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Plumber question.....

Cunning Runt

So the wife and I are looking to replace the three toliets in our house - the question is....

Are the bases all standard on them? We have tile in two of the bathrooms and I'm not looking to do a flooring job too.

And as long as I'm asking about toliet replacement, these are probably 20+ yrs old. They came with the house when we bought it 10+yrs ago and were more than likely original fixtures which puts them at more like 30yrs old.

They seem to get black mildewy looking buildup very easily. Gotta clean 'em damn near daily. What's that caused by? Just all the germs and what-not from so many dumps being taken in them over the years?

That probably has something to with the water, not the toilet. You clean it and it comes right back? In all the toilets?

Hmm...

We've asked our neighbors if they've had anything like this and they've said no.

What can one do to see if it's the water?

They are standard.

The only thing that you may have to consider is the wax ring that you will be changing when you lift the toilet. There are thicker, (higher), wax rings and if you are on a built up floor then you will need a thicker wax ring. I have two wax rings stacked in my bathroom due to the sub floor buildup and the tile that I put down.

In some cases the new commodes sit further away from the wall. This is because the tanks are smaller now. I have had to install offset flanges in a few cases. I would measure the distance from the wall to the closet bolts and be sure the new commode will work well. I hate seeing a commode sitting 2 inches away from the wall. I don't remember the normal distance but I think its 12 inches.