[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Draft 2009 Trading Cards

electricrelish

I have a new rookie draft strategy. Since many people think it's a crap shoot, and no one is really sure who is going to pan out; here's a novel way of making your picks. Buy a pack of Upper Deck NFL 2009 Draft cards, and then draft the rookies that you get in your pack.

Working on team icons for a MFL site: http://www16.myfantasyleague.com/2009/home/14176 made me nostalgic for football cards, so I went to a local card shop and picked up a box of Upper Deck NFL Draft 2009 cards. Things have really changed since I last bought a pack of football cards in the early 90s. Packs of cards are now $5.00 and up. The incentives are to try and get cards with autographs of the rookies or a piece of fabric from one of their uniforms (I'm not that big a fan). Anyways, I purchased one box for $100 (sheesh), which comes with 16 packs (10 cards a pack).

I just opened up the first package, and I got two rookie cards of Mark Sanchez. What? Doubles in one pack? Wait! One of the cards is autographed by Mark Sanchez. It's number 29 out of 50, meaning he only autographed 50 of them for Upper Deck.

These cards have only been out for three (3) days. They were just released on May 26th. I checked Ebay and the Upper Deck Mark Sanchez autographed card #19 out of 50 is currently going for $26.00 with 4 bids (ends on 5/31). I'll be interested to see how high it goes. Now the question is should I sit on the card in case Sanchez pans out, or should I sell while he has all this potential going for him? Maybe I can trade it for the GQ magazine he appeared in.

I scanned the card's front and back. Here's the link to the pics in case you're curious.

Mark Sanchez Autograph Rookie Card Front

Mark Sanchez Autograph Rookie Card Back

OK, now fantasy football has gotten me interested in trading cards again. I'm totally ruined because the first pack I opened had such an awesome card in it. Now, I'll open up a second pack. No autographs, but it does have players who weren't drafted - possible diamonds in the rough.

Does anyone else out there collect these things? I think I'm addicted again after opening only two packs. These things are more expensive than meth. Arrgh!

Edited by electricrelish

Trade him and your 2010 first for Peyton Manning.

What?

(pretty cool that you got one of them special cards)

There's another company called PressPassinc.com. They have a license for NCAA cards (not NFL), so they make the first rookie cards so to speak. If you buy from a hobby shop (as opposed to Wal-Mart), they have packs where they guarantee that you will get an autograph in each pack. What's the catch? The packs are $15 each with only 5 cards in them. Today in the store, this kid (who is the bat boy for the Charlotte Knights) buys a pack and gets Donald Brown's autograph. So I'm feeling punchy and buy a pack too. I get Glen Coffee. I'll have to taxi squad him and see if he goes up in value. :wacko:

One of the cards is autographed by Mark Sanchez. It's number 29 out of 50, meaning he only autographed 50 of them for Upper Deck.

Scratch the idea that he only signed 50 of them. They have different colors on these cards. The one I have is Bronze. There are also autographed rookie card versions of red, blue, silver, gold, platinum, etc. He may have signed 500 cards for all I know. With this many versions out there, I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting a full set.

Trading cards are a lot like fantasy. You just don't know who's going to be a diamond in the rough. The card owner told me he couldn't sell Tony Romo's rookie card for even $1.00. Now he says Romo's rookie cards have sky rocketd in value. You just never know.

OK, I finished opening all 16 packs. Upper Deck says that on average they place 5 autographs in each box, and they were right. Here's what I got.

Autographs

1. Mark Sanchez, WB Jets - pick 5 (1st round)
  2. Donald Brown, RB Colts - pick 27 (1st round)
  3. Keenan Lewis, CB Steelers - pick 96 (3rd round)
  4. Garrett Reynolds, OT Falcons - pick 156 (5th round)
  5. Ryan Purvis, TE Boston College - Not drafted or signed yet that I am aware of

Considering that I could have gotten more unsigned talent, I am very happy with the autographed cards I got. Getting 2 high profile players like Mark Sanchez and Donald Brown is pretty kewl. I'm also happy with many of the rookie cards, I got, which are most of the major names in the draft. These cards still have the players in their college uniforms, so Upper Deck had to guess who would be drafted and arrange the autographs and photographs beforehand. I guess, I'll have to buy the next set of cards that comes out once they are photographed in uniform.

All in all, this was a bit pricey, but it was fun. I recommend trying a box for yourself. You also get veteran cards as well, not just rookies. II like having a card of all these players that I had been researching for my dynasty draft.

Oh man, this is the last thing I need. I was so huge into sports cards in the early 90s it was sad. I had loads of baseball, football and basketball cards and I used to read Beckett and go to shows religiously. Luckily I came to my senses and got out of them before the market crashed due to overload. At least now they're offering cool stuff that has a reason to be valuable like autographs and jersey pieces, and authenticated at that.

Oh man, this is the last thing I need. I was so huge into sports cards in the early 90s it was sad. I had loads of baseball, football and basketball cards and I used to read Beckett and go to shows religiously. Luckily I came to my senses and got out of them before the market crashed due to overload. At least now they're offering cool stuff that has a reason to be valuable like autographs and jersey pieces, and authenticated at that.

I'm happy with what I got, but i prefer cards with the players in their NFL uniforms. I'm a fan of the pro-game more than the college. Those cards with the rookies will come in July. Right now, there are 4 other 2009 rookie card sets from other companies. I'm going to pass and wait for Upper Deck's better sets in July.

The autographs are what makes this fun. Opening a box and hoping you get an autograph of a player you've heard of or even like. I have to admit that I'm spoiled since I got autographs from Mark Sanchez and Donald Brown. But this is waaay too expensive.

Yep, I agree. Just what I don't need.