[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SSD

theeohiostate

Anyone using SSDs instead of a raid array or raptor for you hard drive?

I am shopping for parts for a new build pc for late autumn and saw Intel will be dropping the price on their terrific SSD's 30% very soon. I have never used any, but reviews show pretty outstanding response times from program loading and boot up times are cut 50% or more.

Here is one I want, that is to be dropping to $225 very soon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167005

For power users, is the use of SSD worth the extra money over a typical spinning disc ? I load 3D apps, graphic editing software , quickbooks, adobe pro and many other cpu intensive apps.

Want some feedback from users

Anyone using SSDs instead of a raid array or raptor for you hard drive?

I am shopping for parts for a new build pc for late autumn and saw Intel will be dropping the price on their terrific SSD's 30% very soon. I have never used any, but reviews show pretty outstanding response times from program loading and boot up times are cut 50% or more.

Here is one I want, that is to be dropping to $225 very soon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167005

For power users, is the use of SSD worth the extra money over a typical spinning disc ? I load 3D apps, graphic editing software , quickbooks, adobe pro and many other cpu intensive apps.

Want some feedback from users

SSD may have it's uses, but I don't think the price to capacity ratio makes it a practical choice. Considering that a 1.5 TB drive selling for $120 offers storage at a cost of 8 cents a gig, its had for me to justify the $2.8 per gig of this SSD (and that's computed with the anticipated price drop).

No doubt the speed is way faster, but those gains are only realized with I/O intensive tasks. Booting up and loading programs will be faster, sure, but what do the 50% speed gains translate into? My crappy laptop drive spins at a paltry 4200 RPM, but Vista still loads in under a min. Would seeing your desktop 30 seconds faster be worth giving up 1.4 TB of space and and extra $100? Also, consider how many times a day you would benefit from booting and launching apps. You might boot once or twice a day. How many times to you launch an app? Typically, a user starts it up and works for several hours or maybe all day before closing it down again.

You mentioned that the applications you run are CPU intensive. If that's the case, a new SSD drive would upgrade the wrong subsystem. Get a faster chip or one with more cores. 3D and photo editing software is written to leverage the power of a SMP (multi chip/core) rig.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not building an HTPC.....and I agree that for storage, it is useless as the write times are not good.

I have no interest in a HDD for my OS being 1 , 1.5 or 2 TB large.

This would be for the OS and program files only. I realize to use standard HDD for extra storage

I'm not building an HTPC.....and I agree that for storage, it is useless as the write times are not good.

I have no interest in a HDD for my OS being 1 , 1.5 or 2 TB large.

This would be for the OS and program files only. I realize to use standard HDD for extra storage

I would rather get a faster HD with lower storage to use as my OS (such as WD Raptor drives) and I would prefer to have that run in RAID so I dont lose vital information. Your storage drives can be alot less faster and alot bigger.

And I agree above, laptops benefit from SSD.

I would rather get a faster HD with lower storage to use as my OS (such as WD Raptor drives) and I would prefer to have that run in RAID so I dont lose vital information. Your storage drives can be alot less faster and alot bigger.

And I agree above, laptops benefit from SSD.

You can put the SSD into Raid also.

Here is Information on the new Intel 34nm SSD coming out. This may become mainstream as the author eludes too, sooner rather then later.

I geek out on high end pc builds, so I'm gonna go with the 50nm Intel SSD, unless these new 34nm are priced really well.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/12848/new_in...ance/index.html