[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Microsoft gurus

geeteebee

what is this? I've had an auto update that won't install for the last week or so and after googling it, i deleted the .net framwork. Now the auto update is good. Is this something I'm going to regret deleting? What is it used for, I can't find anything in simple english about what it does.

Selected bits of info from Wikipedia, a fairly straightforward summary follows ... there are several versions of FWK (ie, 1.1, 2.0, 3.5, etc) and you may find that some applications on your machine will not run (properly or at all) if you don't have the latest and/or compliant version of FWK loaded, but if you encounter that issue, you can download and reinstall that particular FWK version pretty easily.

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a software framework that can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a large library of coded solutions to common programming problems and a virtual machine that manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a Microsoft offering and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

The framework's Base Class Library provides a large range of features including user interface, data and data access, database connectivity, cryptography, web application development, numeric algorithms, and network communications. The class library is used by programmers, who combine it with their own code to produce applications.

Programs written for the .NET Framework execute in a software environment that manages the program's runtime requirements. Also part of the .NET Framework, this runtime environment is known as the Common Language Runtime (CLR). The CLR provides the appearance of an application virtual machine so that programmers need not consider the capabilities of the specific CPU that will execute the program. The CLR also provides other important services such as security, memory management, and exception handling. The class library and the CLR together constitute the .NET Framework.

... It still isn't clear to me what it does ...

Essentially, it is software that manages a particular program's interactions with the computer's hardware, operating system, etc so that the developer of that particular program does not have to write specific code to perform those functions - rather, the developer can rely on the standard "framework" to manage those interactions for him.

If you are going to download FWK, you may as well get 3.5 SP1, which is backwards compatible with the earlier (1.1, 2.0, etc) versions.