[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 states in trouble

dmarc117

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. I just turned CNN on, and opened this thread. Talking about this very thing.

the tax revenues(lack of) are killing states. plus these govt planners are f'ing idiots. they spent every single penny they took in. never put anything aside for a rainy day. idiots!!!!!!!

here in chicago, mayor daley said that he is using the funds from the parking meter sale to stem some of the shortfall. and that he would replenish once everything gets back to normal. THINGS ARENT GOING BACK TO THE WAY THEY WERE MAYOR! there is a new normal.

Edited by dmarc117

And in California, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday that his state is facing a budget gap of up to $7 billion. The state will likely announce across-the-board spending cuts in January.

"So we just have to hang in there, tighten our belts and live within our means," he said.

That would be a novel approach.

I know Philadelphia is in trouble...but I don't know how bad the entire state is doing...

we're pretty much..if not completely broke here in Philly...

but don't tell anyone that because nobody wants to believe it...

I knew about California, Michigan, New Jersey and Arizona...but I didn't know about some of the others..

The Republican governor of AZ was on board with a temporary sales tax increase to help solve the budget crisis. The Republican controlled legislature said no f'n way. I think they played some games with some numbers and kicked the can down the road a bit. Property tax revenues have really dropped i'm sure after the hugh run up in prices and the subsequent crash.

The Republican governor of AZ was on board with a temporary sales tax increase to help solve the budget crisis. The Republican controlled legislature said no f'n way. I think they played some games with some numbers and kicked the can down the road a bit. Property tax revenues have really dropped i'm sure after the hugh run up in prices and the subsequent crash.

yep, this what they all did. planned and budgeted with revenues that werent sustainable.

the thing i dont get is the unions for all the city and state workers. look you guys are not gonna get paid what you were getting paid. your pensions are ridiculous and cant be funded. get your heads out of the sand. your paychecks dont come from wonderland. dont expect sympathy if you strike cause we are all feeling the pain.

Edited by dmarc117

the tax revenues(lack of) are killing states. plus these govt planners are f'ing idiots. they spent every single penny they took in. never put anything aside for a rainy day. idiots!!!!!!!

Hold on there - I agree about the spending problems. Politicians are like drunken sailors. That said, when Minnesota was running a surplus a few years back, it was the Republicans and anti-tax people screaming that they wanted refunds, which they got. That should have gone into a rainy day fund so don't put all the blame on politicians, some of the blame belongs with the shortsighted voters too.

Hold on there - I agree about the spending problems. Politicians are like drunken sailors. That said, when Minnesota was running a surplus a few years back, it was the Republicans and anti-tax people screaming that they wanted refunds, which they got. That should have gone into a rainy day fund so don't put all the blame on politicians, some of the blame belongs with the shortsighted voters too.

wurd

Didnt the Gw do the same thing??

this is true. we were a society of consumers, not savers.

Happened in Montana as well. We had a budget surplus a few years back. The left side of the aisle wanted to increase funding to state programs to unprecedented and unsutainable levels. The right side pushed for, and got, tax rebates. I kept asking why the state couldn't have a savings account for years that had a deficit but discovered that was not a popular opinion with either side of the aisle.

Happened in Montana as well. We had a budget surplus a few years back. The left side of the aisle wanted to increase funding to state programs to unprecedented and unsutainable levels. The right side pushed for, and got, tax rebates. I kept asking why the state couldn't have a savings account for years that had a deficit but discovered that was not a popular opinion with either side of the aisle.

Can't the states just print some more money, you know, to tide themselves over until things improve? I know, I know, only the Federal government has that Constituional authority, but it could be like food stamps, etc. It's all made up anyways.

Yep. Our left wanted to spend it on creches for unmarried Martians and all sorts of other crap, our right wanted to give everyone the entire surplus back (which amounts to spending it) and some of us wanted to put it in escrow against a budget shortfall in years to come.

The right won, the shortfall arrived far worse than expected and now we're in a world of hurt and have been for years, using one accounting trick after another to just kick the can down the road. It wouldn't have mattered if the left had won. I'm not saying that money would have bailed us out entirely but it sure would have helped.

the thing i dont get is the unions for all the city and state workers. look you guys are not gonna get paid what you were getting paid. your pensions are ridiculous and cant be funded. get your heads out of the sand. your paychecks dont come from wonderland. dont expect sympathy if you strike cause we are all feeling the pain.

I'm sure you feel the same way about executive compensation and bonuses in companies that received bailouts.

I'm sure you feel the same way about executive compensation and bonuses in companies that received bailouts.

executives have to answer to their shareholders and company employees, so i dont mind that. but i absolutely agree with limiting the compensation of every company that has been bailed out. they answer to the taxpayer. these aig guys make me sick.

Yep. Our left wanted to spend it on creches for unmarried Martians and all sorts of other crap, our right wanted to give everyone the entire surplus back (which amounts to spending it) and some of us wanted to put it in escrow against a budget shortfall in years to come.

The right won, the shortfall arrived far worse than expected and now we're in a world of hurt and have been for years, using one accounting trick after another to just kick the can down the road. It wouldn't have mattered if the left had won. I'm not saying that money would have bailed us out entirely but it sure would have helped.

Read: Buy votes

im both amazed and sickened by every new article that comes from clout street in the trib. these guys are so blatant in their crimes.

Yep. I subscribe to the Sun-Times, and it seems more and more like Boss Tweed in "Gangs of New York" style politics.

It says something when 2 of your last 3 govenors are indicted for felonies . . . .