[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good news or bad news?

bpwallace49

Closes the door on a legit third party candidate?

Any thoughts? This opens up to big unions and corporations contributing more to their respective candidates. IMO this REALLY hurts potential third party candidates from generating enough grass roots supprt to overcome corporate donations for campaign funds.

A lot of Obama's campaign contributions were made by small increments from individuals. With the swing against the left inevitable, it seemed possible that a serious 3rd party independent could challenge for those independent donations. Now with the purse strings opening up for corporations and unions to freely contribute again, the recent decision puts all the power back to the Republicans and Democrats and their deep pocketed contributers that curry politcal favor.

Bad news for independents and 3rd party candidates . . . .

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. If it has that effect, it will suck. Still I think it is the correct decision, based on the 1st Amendment. Should it be changed possibly, but it should be done through the correct process.

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. If it has that effect, it will suck. Still I think it is the correct decision, based on the 1st Amendment. Should it be changed possibly, but it should be done through the correct process.

When disgust with the Repblican party (left over from Bush) and the Democrats (the current crappy health care bill) at all time highs, you would think that NOW would be a prime time for a true independent third party that draws from moderates in both camps to run for office. Now with this I fear that we go back to business as usual of both parties screwing everyone over :wacko:

A LOT of support for Obama's campaign came from individuals contributing small amounts. Now with access to corporate coffers, the left and right can easily overwhelm and outspend any realistic third party candidate.