[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

shameful

dmarc117

And it really is too.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., is a key climate change player. He went to Copenhagen last year. Last week, we asked him about the $2,200-a-day bill for room and food.

"I can't believe that," Rep. Waxman said. "I can't believe it, but I don't know."

But his name is in black and white in the expense reports. The group expense report was filed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. She wouldn't talk about it when our producer tried to ask.

Pelosi's office did offer an explanation for the high room charges. Those who stayed just two nights were charged a six-night minimum at the five-star Marriott. One staffer said, they strongly objected to no avail. You may ask how they'll negotiate a climate treaty, if they can't get a better deal on hotel rooms.

You're the American delegation to a world conference and you let a hotel chain hit you up for six nights when you only stayed two? :wacko:

:D

being from the hotel biz, it is not unusal for hotels to require a minimum stay requirement when they know they entire area will be completely sold-out over the stretch of time in question. the is no way you can negotiate anything....price, length of stay...nothing.

So the guy had the option of staying only two nights and getting charged for six, but get back to work in the states in a timely fashion....or....stay the entire time and get a free extra four-day vacation, care of the US taxpayer.

:wacko:

:D

being from the hotel biz, it is not unusal for hotels to require a minimum stay requirement when they know they entire area will be completely sold-out over the stretch of time in question. the is no way you can negotiate anything....price, length of stay...nothing.

So the guy had the option of staying only two nights and getting charged for six, but get back to work in the states in a timely fashion....or....stay the entire time and get a free extra four-day vacation, care of the US taxpayer.

I'm in the same industry and if I were those congressmen I would have been on the phone with some Mariott exec letting them know if they did this to the taxpayer it would cost them a hell of a lot more in bad publicity back in the states. For you to say there would be no way to negotiate? Please...

I'm in the same industry and if I were those congressmen I would have been on the phone with some Mariott exec letting them know if they did this to the taxpayer it would cost them a hell of a lot more in bad publicity back in the states. For you to say there would be no way to negotiate? Please...

no poopy. jesse jackson can threaten budweiser with boycott if his kid doesnt get a distributorship, but they can put heat on marriott? come on.

So lets see.....how many congressmen from the US went to the conference? The article only discusses the Rep from California. Was he the only one from the US to attend? me thinks not.

So in addition to this guy, they'd have to bend the policy for all US Reps, the press that was attending, and anyone from any other country that got wind of the "special" deal Marriott cut its countrymen.

Moreover, do you think the travel people who booked the itinerary for the US Rep didn't check other competing hotels, and found the same policy in place at the local Hilton, Hyatt, Renaissance, InterContinental, etc?

Please...if youre in the business, you know as well as I they're not cutting the US a break, and keeping the policy in place for aeveryone else.

And FWIW, the same length-of-stay policy was in place for the G20 conference in Pittsburgh last year....4 night minimum. I wonder how long until all hell breaks loose over that?

You guys need to find something better to do than quabble over foreign hotel policies....a whopping net cost of about $1600. :wacko:

ETA: I had only read the clip Ursa quoted. After clicking on the link, it does appear some of the "hospitality suites" could have been omitted that that cost, as well as the number of people attending. but the length-og-stay requirement? No chance....the hotels in the market knew there would be more demand than supply, and maximized their value. Some call it the American way....

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Thank god it wasn't in Oslo or Stockholm....

Nissen also says that Copenhagen has great potential since it has more international guests than the other Scandinavian cities. In addition, a hotel room in Copenhagen is on average 30-40% cheaper than in Oslo and Stockholm, and hotel occupancy is high.

Marriott Copenhagen in July on Expedia, $437 per night for a waterview room, that is a freaking DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

Evidently they double the daily rate if you're a politician, can't blame 'em, what with all the drinking and hookers going in and out of the hotel... The must have to clean the bathrooms and wash the sheets at least three times daily.

Edited by SEC=UGA

So lets see.....how many congressmen from the US went to the conference? The article only discusses the Rep from California. Was he the only one from the US to attend? me thinks not.

So in addition to this guy, they'd have to bend the policy for all US Reps, the press that was attending, and anyone from any other country that got wind of the "special" deal Marriott cut its countrymen.

Moreover, do you think the travel people who booked the itinerary for the US Rep didn't check other competing hotels, and found the same policy in place at the local Hilton, Hyatt, Renaissance, InterContinental, etc?

Please...if youre in the business, you know as well as I they're not cutting the US a break, and keeping the policy in place for aeveryone else.

And FWIW, the same length-of-stay policy was in place for the G20 conference in Pittsburgh last year....4 night minimum. I wonder how long until all hell breaks loose over that?

You guys need to find something better to do than quabble over foreign hotel policies....a whopping net cost of about $1600. :wacko:

ETA: I had only read the clip Ursa quoted. After clicking on the link, it does appear some of the "hospitality suites" could have been omitted that that cost, as well as the number of people attending. but the length-og-stay requirement? No chance....the hotels in the market knew there would be more demand than supply, and maximized their value. Some call it the American way....

I'm not bitching at the hotel as much as I am the congresscritters. I have no problem with the hotel, same as I have no problem with old retired dudes up here in GA loading up a truck-full of plywood from home depot and taking it down to S FL and doubling their money when a hurricane's coming.

I'm saying the folks could have negotiated better, guaranteed. You almost always can if you have leverage.

I am surprised that free market supporters are bashing the free market at work.

Supply vs demand . . . doesnt mean we have to like it. what is next, are we going to audit what they had for dinner and bash them for having dessert?

why did so many have to go? why so many relatives? staff?

stay home, curtail spending.

why did so many have to go? why so many relatives? staff?

stay home, curtail spending.

i agree with you on that point, but the fact of the mandarory stay seemed to be the theme there . . .

Jeez Dmarc, pols are ALWAYS cheating us remember? the South carolina governor visited his Argentinian mistress on the state tab . . . when he got CAUGHT he said he would pay it back. Ya think he would have done that if he didnt get caught?? :wacko: And he is STILL in office after blatatently stealing funds for a personal trip. At least this one was quasi-business related . . .

i agree with you on that point, but the fact of the mandarory stay seemed to be the theme there . . .

Jeez Dmarc, pols are ALWAYS cheating us remember? the South carolina governor visited his Argentinian mistress on the state tab . . . when he got CAUGHT he said he would pay it back. Ya think he would have done that if he didnt get caught?? :wacko: And he is STILL in office after blatatently stealing funds for a personal trip. At least this one was quasi-business related . . .

the reason he is still in power is because of his backup. did you see john stewart the other night?

the reason he is still in power is because of his backup. did you see john stewart the other night?

yes I did . . . and it was hilarious.

My point was that pols have abused power ever since they realized they can get away with it. Regardless of party . . the power attracts the corruptible. Whether we debate Bush's oil ties, Gores enviromental interests, Halliburton compensation to cheney or Blagovich selling congressional appointmnets, the power public office brings attracts corrupt individuals that will always put their interests ahead of what is "right" for America.

You almost always can if you have leverage.

Exactly...and the US had zero leverage.

From the looks of their rooming list, they needed 200+ rooms. The very last thing the Marriott wanted to do was sell a group block of discounted 2-night stays, and have the group check-out, leaving them relatively empty when the rest of the hotels in the market are garnering full revenue for the entire 6-day period.

Blame the US for not cutting back ont he contingent they sent...blame the travel planners for not finding hotels outside Copenhagen that were not requiring 6-night minimums....blame the travel planners for not booking something less than a 5-star hotel....blame the entire contingent on the need for excessively-pricd hospitality suites.

But don't blame the Marriott for getting market rate, and for refusing to negotiate off of it when there was ample replacement business.

Exactly...and the US had zero leverage.

From the looks of their rooming list, they needed 200+ rooms. The very last thing the Marriott wanted to do was sell a group block of discounted 2-night stays, and have the group check-out, leaving them relatively empty when the rest of the hotels in the market are garnering full revenue for the entire 6-day period.

Blame the US for not cutting back ont he contingent they sent...blame the travel planners for not finding hotels outside Copenhagen that were not requiring 6-night minimums....blame the travel planners for not booking something less than a 5-star hotel....blame the entire contingent on the need for excessively-pricd hospitality suites.

But don't blame the Marriott for getting market rate, and for refusing to negotiate off of it when there was ample replacement business.

Did you read my post? I'm pretty much agreeing with you on all counts? Man, iggle fans! Disagree, they get pissed. Agree, make's 'em even madder! :D That jersey suburb must be a miserable place to live... :wacko:

Did you read my post? I'm pretty much agreeing with you on all counts? Man, iggle fans! Disagree, they get pissed. Agree, make's 'em even madder! :D That jersey suburb must be a miserable place to live... :wacko:

lol...the lefties are very defensive these days