[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey real estate wonks

Chief Dick

Regarding the tax credit for current homeowners:

I know you have to have lived in the house you are vacating for 5 years. The tax credit says you have to have a contract by April 30, and all closings must be complete by June 30.

So is the 5 year rule calculated by the April 30 deadline or the June 30 deadline? So if you are in your home 5 years by the time of closing you get the tax credit, or you must be in it 5 years by April 30th.

The reason I ask is I bought my home 5 years ago as of May 12th. So this will be a minor determining factor whether we buy a house this spring or wait a year.

Found this here

About 3/4 of the way down the page.

Sounds to me like 5 out of the 8 previous years. Not 5 years exactly.

Even if you have a signed contract for a closing before July 1, YOU will still be living in your home

come May 12.

------------------

Who is eligible for the non-first-time homebuyer tax credit?

To be eligible for the non-first-time homebuyer tax credit, you must meet all of the first-time homebuyer eligibility requirements except for the rules about previous homeownership and purchase dates. In place of those rules, you must:

* have owned and lived in your previous home as your principal residence for at least five consecutive years of the eight years before the purchase

* buy a single-family principal residence in the U.S. after November 6, 2009, sign a binding sales contract before May 1, 2010, and close before July 1, 2010.

Edited by pig devilz

I guess theoretically the purchase does not happen until the close date.

yeh, thats how I understand it too. but, we are dealing with the guberment, so seek professional advice. :wacko:

ps...you also have to live in the house for 3 years or more after the purchase or the entire credit is

REPAYABLE IN FULL.