[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Madrid - Spain

gbpfan1231

I am going to Switzerland for a work meeting in late February and decided to stop off in Madrid for a few days on the way just for something different.

Anybody been to Madrid? Any suggestions on what to see, where to go? Any good restaurants? Day trip to any other little town?

I will be there by myself and as of now have no set plans so anything is an option.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I was in Spain, September of '07. I spent time in Barcelona, San Sebastien, and Madrid. Of the three, Madrid was a distant 3rd in terms of faves. San Sebastien was the run-away favorite.

That said, you simply can't beat the museums there. If you like modern art, Reina Sofia is top notch.

I was in Spain, September of '07. I spent time in Barcelona, San Sebastien, and Madrid. Of the three, Madrid was a distant 3rd in terms of faves. San Sebastien was the run-away favorite.

That said, you simply can't beat the museums there. If you like modern art, Reina Sofia is top notch.

Thanks for the info. Wish I would have asked before I booked the flight/hotel. I asked a dude at work who travels a ton and he said Madrid is one of his fav cities in the world. I am sure I will enjot it no matter what.

Thanks for the info. Wish I would have asked before I booked the flight/hotel. I asked a dude at work who travels a ton and he said Madrid is one of his fav cities in the world. I am sure I will enjot it no matter what.

In fairness, I tend to rate cities on the food and San Sebastien blew doors on the other two, Barcelona was certainly nice, but Madrid was a bit harder to negotiate in those terms. It was also the last stop on our trip and we were tired of spending money. I'm sure your friend knows of what he speaks.

My thing is that I don't get that fired up about looking at palaces and things like that. Others, obviously, are totally into that. We did the walk around Madrid checking all that stuff out and it just doesn't do it for me.

I will post later this week, but I have been to Madrid a lot (not for the last 2 years) and really enjoyed walking around and eating at quality restaurants. I need to look up some of the places I ate, didn't do any museums as they aren't my speed and really only had time for work and food. Plaza Mayor sticks out for some reason...more to follow

El Botin is the oldest restaurant in the world and has excellent pork and lamb

Samarkanda is located inside the Atocha train station

Le’ Dragon for Asian

La Vaca (good Steak Argentina)

Cuban restaurant El Tocororo

Naturbiere in plaza San Ana is good for beer and tapas

Bold are places I ate and recommend, the others are recommended by co-workers.

• 3 weeks later...
El Botin is the oldest restaurant in the world and has excellent pork and lamb

Samarkanda is located inside the Atocha train station

Le’ Dragon for Asian

La Vaca (good Steak Argentina)

Cuban restaurant El Tocororo

Naturbiere in plaza San Ana is good for beer and tapas

Bold are places I ate and recommend, the others are recommended by co-workers.

Thanks man. Got here yesterday at 8:30AM and walked around the city trying to stay awake. After 5-6 coffees and a ham and tomato sandwich I tried to find Naturebiere but got lost and ended up having a few beers and a calamaria sandwich at El Brilliante. Made it to 9:30 and then wnet to bed.

Today I found Naturebiere and had a tortill de patata that rocked - had a few more coffees and then ended up at an irish pub drinking with a scot and and irishman - needeless to say I am half pissed right now but gonna napo and the try to find La Vac for a steak - I was told to try baby pig or baby lamb - if anyone reads this before I head out do you agree?

Well with everything I have eaten and drank so far it is only a matter of time until I take on these useless low flush euro toilets. Any bets I win that one!!!

Thanks Paulzale!!