[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anniversary vacation ideas

Ziachild007

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary this June and I am trying to plan a week long get away for the two of us. We both enjoy more of a "beachy" type vacation. I was thinking of Mexico maybe, but would not rule out trying something else if anyone had some suggestions. I am thinking probably 6-7 days including travel. I wouldn't mind doing a 2-3 days sightseeing/activities with 2-3 days just relaxing. I want to have a nice vacation, but not break the bank. I am thinking maybe $1500-1800 range for air/lodging, maybe?

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Mrs Delicious and I are currently thinking about doing a vacation for our 5 year anniversary in October. We're looking at going back down to Aruba to the same resort we honeymooned at back in 05.

Zia, not sure if Aruba would appeal to you or not but we really liked it. Very warm and sunny, nice beaches and blue-green water. Food was good wherever we ate and you can drink the water. The people were very nice and most spoke English enough that we were always able to communicate. There's not a ton of sightseeing stuff (as the whole island is not that big) but there are some cool things to see and there is plenty of water stuff(snorkelling, sailing, etc) to keep you busy. They have golf courses, too, if you'd want to play. And if you're looking to relax, the beaches are very nice and no one bothers you(at least no one did at the beach we were at). No one trying to sell you stuff or harassing you like they do in parts of Mexico or Jamaica. That's one thing we really appreciated about it.

Anyway, I can give more specifics if you're interested...

South of Cancun on the Riviera Maya (Playa Del Carmen) in Mexico... lots of resorts right on the ocean... set up an all-inclusive adults only vacation... plus there's plenty to do in terms of day trips if you want to get off the beach for a day. My wife and I have been there a couple of times and have absolutely loved it!

Mrs Delicious and I are currently thinking about doing a vacation for our 5 year anniversary in October. We're looking at going back down to Aruba to the same resort we honeymooned at back in 05.

Zia, not sure if Aruba would appeal to you or not but we really liked it. Very warm and sunny, nice beaches and blue-green water. Food was good wherever we ate and you can drink the water. The people were very nice and most spoke English enough that we were always able to communicate. There's not a ton of sightseeing stuff (as the whole island is not that big) but there are some cool things to see and there is plenty of water stuff(snorkelling, sailing, etc) to keep you busy. They have golf courses, too, if you'd want to play. And if you're looking to relax, the beaches are very nice and no one bothers you(at least no one did at the beach we were at). No one trying to sell you stuff or harassing you like they do in parts of Mexico or Jamaica. That's one thing we really appreciated about it.

Anyway, I can give more specifics if you're interested...

About what sort of price would I be looking at?

South of Cancun on the Riviera Maya (Playa Del Carmen) in Mexico... lots of resorts right on the ocean... set up an all-inclusive adults only vacation... plus there's plenty to do in terms of day trips if you want to get off the beach for a day. My wife and I have been there a couple of times and have absolutely loved it!

I have heard that was a great place. Any idea how it compares/contrasts to Cozumel/Cancun? We went to Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon and it was great, just different from what I imagine the others are (more to see/do, etc).

About what sort of price would I be looking at?

We stayed at the Divi which is one of the few All Inclusives down there. I was looking on Expedia last night and we can do a 6 night stay there with round trip air from MSP for a total of about $3300 for both the wife and I. Now, that's early October and its flights from Minnepolis. Not sure what the price would be for you in June coming from down south. And keep in mind that is an AI, too, so its going to be one of the more expensive options. A lot of people advise not to go AI in Aruba because there are so many good places to eat. Truth be told, we probably ate away from the resort more than we should of because we wanted to go to a few places people had highly recommended to us. I think we made up for it in drinks, though :wacko:

Anyways, just to get a quick and dirty idea, I would plug your dates into Expedia and just take a quick peek at the results and see what you think. One thing I found is (booking through Expedia) we got a lot better deal than if we booked right through the resort's web site. Something to consider I guess.

I have heard that was a great place. Any idea how it compares/contrasts to Cozumel/Cancun? We went to Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon and it was great, just different from what I imagine the others are (more to see/do, etc).

Cancun is just a lot busier (and younger). So it kind of depends upon what you are looking for. If you want more nightlife and partying, then Cancun is definitley going to offer you that. If you want more romance and relaxation, then somewhere on the Riviera Maya is probably better. Keep in mind too, that you can always grab a cab or bus and head up to Cancun for a day or an evening if you want. But I find that with the all-inclusives it's just easier to stay in the resort except for any day trips that you might take. We spent a day in Xel-Ha snorkeling, etc. and loved it. Also visited one of the ruined temples... pretty cool. But mostly we just laid out on the beach a lot.

Cancun is just a lot busier (and younger). So it kind of depends upon what you are looking for. If you want more nightlife and partying, then Cancun is definitley going to offer you that. If you want more romance and relaxation, then somewhere on the Riviera Maya is probably better. Keep in mind too, that you can always grab a cab or bus and head up to Cancun for a day or an evening if you want. But I find that with the all-inclusives it's just easier to stay in the resort except for any day trips that you might take. We spent a day in Xel-Ha snorkeling, etc. and loved it. Also visited one of the ruined temples... pretty cool. But mostly we just laid out on the beach a lot.

The wife and I went there after we met and stayed at 1 of the Palace resorts, I want to say Aventura Palace but not positive. One you stay at a Palace resort you can go to any of the others in Cancun for free as well for drinks and food.

Check it out

It is about 2 hour ride from the airport but well worth it