[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bill would require every New Yorker to be an organ donor...

http://wcbstv.com/health/ny.organ.donor.2.1662437.html

NEW YORK -- Organ donation has become a vital way to save lives around the world, but a vast shortage of donors continues to mean people are losing their lives while on waiting lists.

But there is a unique proposal that could change all that.

New York State Assemblyman Richard Brodsky nearly lost his daughter, Willie, at 4 years old when she needed a kidney transplant, and again 10 years later when her second kidney failed.

"We have 10,000 New Yorkers on the list today waiting for organs. We import half the organs we transplant. It is an unacceptable failed system," Brodsky said.

To fix that, Brodsky introduced a new bill in Albany that would enroll all New Yorkers as an organ donor, unless they actually opt out of organ donation. It would be the first law of its kind in the United States.

"Overseas, 24 nations have it. Israel has it. Others have it. And it works without a lot of controversy," Brodsky said.

Currently one of the biggest obstacles to being a donor is while 9 out of 10 are favorable to it only 1 out of 10 is signed up to be a donor.

On Wednesday, the New York Organ Donor Network honored families who've donated the organs of loved ones with a planting ceremony at New York Botanical Gardens. Jean Carnevale had a timely talk about organ donation with her 27-year=old son before he died in a fatal car accident.

"Michael and I had a conversation two weeks prior on the way to a family member's funeral," Carnevale said.

And Emily Melendez and her siblings made the choice for their 68-year-old mother.

"Although I lost my mom, she lives on in three other people," Melendez said.

"The thing about organ donor is we have the cure right now in our hands. It's not like trying to cure cancer," said Elaine Berg of the Organ Donor Network.

Legal experts said if the law is passed, it will likely face challenges in court from family members or some religious groups.

"I think it's a little heavy handed. I think we should have the right to choose that," said Rachel Rogers of Crown Heights.

But many are hoping this law will help people to make a choice -- one way or the other.

Currently, you can make your organ donation wishes known by signing the back of your driver's license, signing up online or through a health care proxy. We have more information here.

http://wcbstv.com/health/ny.organ.donor.2.1662437.html

Currently one of the biggest obstacles to being a donor is while 9 out of 10 are favorable to it only 1 out of 10 is signed up to be a donor.

This is hard to believe, I have been on the wrong side of this fight in the past, and it is not fun. I testified in our state legislature against a bill that would go ahead with donation without family consent if you were designated a donor. You want to talk about glares an stares.

At what point did the government decide your brain dead body was the property of health facilities. Organ donation is such a perfect storm scenario. You have to be brain dead on life support for most vital organs to be donated. You can donate heart valves, bone and skin up to 24 hours following death, but organs must be taken while the person is on life support and declared brain dead.

In South Dakota, your family is asked following your death whether you are designated to be a donor or non-donor. I am not a donor, I firmly believe in donating my organs, but tissue is another matter and much of that does not go to life saving. Some even goes to plastic surgeons. I don't have the current numbers bu in 2000 the dead human body was worth $175,000 to a tissue bank. There in lies the problem in my mind is that most of the time organ and tissue are not separated. In another thread there is discussion of MADD changing laws and regulations, here is another case where a non-profit for the greater good is running over anyone and everyone in their way "for the greater good."

This is hard to believe, I have been on the wrong side of this fight in the past, and it is not fun. I testified in our state legislature against a bill that would go ahead with donation without family consent if you were designated a donor. You want to talk about glares an stares.

At what point did the government decide your brain dead body was the property of health facilities. Organ donation is such a perfect storm scenario. You have to be brain dead on life support for most vital organs to be donated. You can donate heart valves, bone and skin up to 24 hours following death, but organs must be taken while the person is on life support and declared brain dead.

In South Dakota, your family is asked following your death whether you are designated to be a donor or non-donor. I am not a donor, I firmly believe in donating my organs, but tissue is another matter and much of that does not go to life saving. Some even goes to plastic surgeons. I don't have the current numbers bu in 2000 the dead human body was worth $175,000 to a tissue bank. There in lies the problem in my mind is that most of the time organ and tissue are not separated. In another thread there is discussion of MADD changing laws and regulations, here is another case where a non-profit for the greater good is running over anyone and everyone in their way "for the greater good."

I'm with you here. I'm not an organ donor for this very reason. I told the mrs she could make that decision if/when. :wacko:

Very lucid and well written post, TY. I am an organ donor, probably will remain an organ donor, but don't believe that the state should mandate that all citizens be organ donors.