[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nurse Jackie

electricrelish

I just finished the first season of Nurse Jackie, and now I've started the second season. The show is about Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) and her day-to-day trials and tribulations as an ER nurse at All Saints Hospital in New York City. What's the difference between this show and any other hospital drama? Well, let's start with whether Nurse Jackie a good nurse? Yes, she is. She has a big heart, sometimes too big of a heart, which means she allows her sense of right and wrong take precedence over what's legal. Well, I don't think this is a spoiler, but I will put a spoiler alert warning here just in case.

***SPOILER ALERT **** (But it's not really much of a spoiler alert)

Nurse Jackie is a functioning drug addict. Plus, she has some other indiscretions, which I won't mention here, because that would be a spoiler for the first episode.

All in all, I was surprised how interested I became in this show. Typically, shows with female leads don't interest me (i.e. Grey's Anatomy). This show is the first one to suck me in that I can recall since Xena: The Princess Warrior. OK, I'm joking about Xena. This show does a really good job of presenting a female lead character that is three-dimensional and flawed. How refreshing to see a female presented in a way that many of us know them to be.

The show's co-creator Liz Brixius said, "Guys' stories tend to be about conquests — getting the job, winning the Olympics, whatever. Women stories aren't as immediately climactic so they need to play out over the course of three months ... And every medical show out there has been about doctors. Doctors are absolutely unable to do what they have to do without nurses. We want to tell those stories."

Edie Falco does a great job in the lead role. Merritt Wever is also very funny as Nurse Jackie's student intern Zoey. I highly recommend that you check it out along with my list of shows that I consider to be the best on television today.

I never used to be a big television guy because I thought most of the serious work was being done in film. However, this decade a lot of that has changed as less and less people go to the movies, and more of the films that are made are geared toward a younger audience with disposable income. I've noticed that more mature works are being made for television these days, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Best Shows on Television 2009 - 2010

1. Mad Men - great show about American advertising, business and culture set in the 1960s. This show is great from writing, production design, production design, acting and costume design.
  2. Breaking Bad - Chemistry teacher learns that he has lung cancer, so he seeks out a former student to help him embark on a new career of selling meth. This show is shot like an indie film.
  3. Dexter - Serial killer that hunts down the "bad guys"
  4. Nurse Jackie - Good intentioned, but completely flawed and all too human nurse in an ER.
  5. United States of Tara - Housewife with multiple personalities embarks on a journey to find out what happened to her to cause her illness
  6. Glee - Musical show about a Glee Club - it's infectious fun and everything that Cop Rock should have been.

Shows that I've been told I need to check out

1. Treme
  2. Burn Notice
  3. How To Make It In America
  4. Modern Family

Edited by electricrelish

Wow, I thought it was just a generic show about a nurse, did not realize she's a pill head. I'll be sure to check it out!

The wife and I are slowly moving through Dexter, just finished season 1. Great show.

My wife loves this show, I just havn't had time to watch it worth her, maybe I'll pick up the past series and give it a try.

I think the reason women like this show is because most of the women in the show are powerful figures. In fact, most of the male characters are shown to be inferior or under the thumb of a woman. The second season has clearly revealed its feminist view. It's not a bad thing, but it irks me a bit that all the males are so lame, but perhaps powerful women surround themselves with guys that are easy to control.

Wow, I thought it was just a generic show about a nurse, did not realize she's a pill head. I'll be sure to check it out!

The wife and I are slowly moving through Dexter, just finished season 1. Great show.

Yes, the first season of Dexter is completely perfect. The second season was good for a while, and then sort of tapered off. I didn't like season three, but a lot of people did. Season four is when it got really good again.