[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDMI help

Skilly

I'm considering updating my home theater by getting a new receiver. Doesn't need to be 7.1, as I'm perfectly happy with my 5.1 set up and don't have the room for any more speakers.

The main features I want are HDMI inputs and output, and the ability to plug in my ipod.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under $450.

Also, can anyone answer me this: If I plug in my cable box via HDMI to the receiver, then out to the tv, does the receiver have to be turned on to pass the signal through, or will it go automatically? I don't always like to have the speakers on if I'm just watching normal tv.

I'm considering updating my home theater by getting a new receiver. Doesn't need to be 7.1, as I'm perfectly happy with my 5.1 set up and don't have the room for any more speakers.

The main features I want are HDMI inputs and output, and the ability to plug in my ipod.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under $450.

Also, can anyone answer me this: If I plug in my cable box via HDMI to the receiver, then out to the tv, does the receiver have to be turned on to pass the signal through, or will it go automatically? I don't always like to have the speakers on if I'm just watching normal tv.

I have a Yamaha RX-V665 that came with a free ipod dock. Here's the link to where I bought mine: RX-V665

The pass-thru is automatic...so no it won't have to be on to just watch tv.

The only issue I had was it doesn't work with a passive sub system (I have an older Bose system). If you run a powered sub then you'll be fine.

I have a Yamaha RX-V665 that came with a free ipod dock. Here's the link to where I bought mine: RX-V665

The pass-thru is automatic...so no it won't have to be on to just watch tv.

The only issue I had was it doesn't work with a passive sub system (I have an older Bose system). If you run a powered sub then you'll be fine.

Thanks.

That does look like it has all the features. I have an older Yamaha now, but just want to upgrade. And I'm running a powered Paradigm sub that's served me well for the last 12 years, so that should work well with that unit.

Is the new Dolby TrueHD lossless sound really that much better than the old Dolby Digital technology? Can you tell the difference? I see that the latest Blu-ray discs are starting to advertise the TrueHD feature.

Is the new Dolby TrueHD lossless sound really that much better than the old Dolby Digital technology? Can you tell the difference? I see that the latest Blu-ray discs are starting to advertise the TrueHD feature.

I don't have a Blu-ray player @ this time...so I can't answer that.

I don't have a Blu-ray player @ this time...so I can't answer that.

No...Blu-Ray...Player? Dude! Time to move out of the Stone Age! Once you get one you'll wonder why you waited so long. I did. A lot of them can stream Netflix as well.

In a word Yes. Dolby Digital was still a lossy compression algorithm. For that reason I always bought DTS sound when available on DVDs. Well that and the face that DTS is recorded at 1509.75 kbit/s (max) whereas DD is recorded at 640 kbit/s (max). The fidelity of the information originally captured is sonically transparent. The DTS version of Dancing With Wolves that I have is so much better than the Dolby Digital version that it is almost a different movie. Now Dolby TrueHD is another lossless compression algorithm. Every nuance that was originally recorded is still there. Of course a terrible sound engineer on site can still render the original a POS but that is a different conversation entirely.

Edited by Kid Cid